Chapter 11 - A Surprise

"You will have bad times, but they will wake you up to the stuff you weren't paying attention to." – Robin Williams

"Wake up, Musca... wake up..."

"No..." I snuggled more into something hard. I was in a compromising position because my neck was cramped so severely I thought I wouldn't be able to straighten it.

"Wake up. . ."

I opened my eyes, and a bright yellow light stabbed them like a dagger. I closed them right away. I opened my eyes slowly this time, adjusting to the light.

"Wake up..."

I straightened my aching neck and rubbed it and then my eyes. When I withdrew my fingers from my eyes, the first thing I saw was his golden eyes, gazing at me with affection shimmering in them.

My heart raced. Hey, why the hell are you racing? I scolded my childish heart.

"Uh..." I licked my dried lips. "Good morning!" My voice was groggy, and I was smiling like a kid on a Sunday morning. "When did you wake up?"

"It's still night." He grinned. "And I'm not as sluggish as you."

I frowned at him, "Why didn't you wake me up?"

"It's not every day I watch you sleep... I couldn't wake you up." His hand moved towards me and cupped my face. I bit my lip in confusion, and my eyes widened at his advances. "Happy Birthday," he beamed.

"How did you know?" I relaxed and leaned into his touch.

"I just knew." He shrugged and withdrew his hand, my skin missed his warm touch, if my cheek was an emoticon, it would be sad face emoji right now.

"I don't have Facebook, so Facebook didn't tell you, so who did?" I narrowed my eyes at him playfully. "Tell me?"

"Nah..."

"You're an idiot."

"Would you like us to go now? You have a university, and I have some work to attend tomorrow."

"I would not like it, of course, but let's go anyway."

He chuckled.

"Okay, where is your car?" I gazed around the car in the lot, trying to find his car.

"My friend dropped me off. My car is at my house." Saying, he fastened my seat belt and then his. The car started with a rumble and moved on the road as Aaliyan drove.

"What are your plans, uh, for tomorrow?" I inquired while the car moved on the well-lit road, subconsciously wishing for him to say, 'I am free, and I'll be with you all day long,' but what I heard squeezed my heart.

"I'll go to the office, but I'll have dinner with you tomorrow night, at nine pm, and we'll cut your birthday cake."

"Hm," it disheartened me.

Can't he just cancel all his work for only one day? For me? Where do I stand in his life? Am I a priority, or he's playing? If he is playing with me, I swear I will-

You will what? My inner voice mocked me. You do this to you. He said nothing that made you grow feelings for him. It's all you.

I don't have feelings for him; I protested. It's an attraction or sheer lust, I should say.

Who are you joking with?

I am...

The car finally came to a halt, interrupting my conversation with my inner self. I got out of the car and went away from him, thinking it would help me go away from the feelings I had for him.