Chapter 6 - Memories And Tears

"When you can't stop staring at him, not because he's got something on his face but because you want to... that's love." -Felicia Anjani

The drive home was filled with comfortable silence. I kept stealing glances at him—memorizing his features, his olive skin, haughty nose, his smoldering magnificently shaped golden eyes, the dark full lashes that rested atop of his cheekbones, his thick perfect eyebrows, the ravishing curve of his full lips, Ugh!

"Will you please stop checking me out?" he asked, an irritated edge creeping into his voice. I glanced over at him, startled that he noticed my ogling. Suddenly, he chuckled at my flabbergasted self, and I went red in embarrassment.

"How did you even know that I was watching you? You're looking at the road."

"Your eyes are blazing fire at me, and I feel so hot that I'm sweating tons. Phew!" He let out a sigh of frustration. Heat crept along my cheek and neck. I looked away and focused on staring out the window at the world whooshed by us.

"Okay, no need to be red in shame," he teased.

"Oh, shut up," I suppressed a grin.

Aaliyan pulled up in front of my house on the broad road of our street. It was mostly deserted, and a calm air swirled around. There were about twelve bungalows that faced each other. The five were empty because the owners were living abroad, with the houses taken care of, by their servants. The street to the left was always crowded. Because there was a grocery store, a park, and a mosque situated.

"Goodbye, I guess?" said Aaliyan.

"Yes, goodbye." I nodded, failing to keep myself from grinning. I unbuckled the seatbelt and left his car.

☆☆☆

Weeks passed, we saw each other every morning, waved at each other, but he never asked me to come in his car. I had ruined it for me. I was hurt, or maybe only my pride was hurt. First, he pushed me away when I kissed him. Ugh, it was embarrassing—he asked me not to kiss him ever again, and now he was not even acknowledging my presence. It sucked like a leech.

That day, after the usually hectic and tiring routine, I was back at home. I went directly to my room, took a shower, and changed into red pajamas and a large black t-shirt. I prayed the Zohar and went downstairs only to jump back in fear.

God, am I hallucinating? I slapped my cheek lightly to wake up if it was a dream.

It wasn't.

Aaliyan, Aaliyan Haider, was seated comfortably on my large and comfy couch, both arms wide open, resting on the back while watching T.V. It was true, and I was not daydreaming. He was there.

My body temperature rose comfortably, which made me realize the lounge was warmer than I had left it. The heater was on. Aaliyan had turned on the heater? Surprising.

I hugged myself, feeling so many weird things happening in my empty stomach. "How did you get in?" Eyes wide, I asked him in a whisper.

He looked up immediately, shocked, but with a blink of an eye, his expressions changed into pleasant. "Hi, I climbed the wall," he said as if it was the most common thing to do.

"Why?" I gulped.

"I wanted to see you."

I opened my mouth to ask him why he wanted to meet me after ignoring me for so long and why it was so important that he climbed the wall, but I decided against it, not trusting my tongue that could utter anything stupid and ruin it. Again.

"How did you know where the heater was?" I uttered after forming the words in my mind.

He tilted his head and gawked at me for a moment. "Uh, all the houses are quite similar in this colony, so I knew where it was."