Chapter 58

But I know...time will tell if we're meant for this...

~•~ Chapter 58 ~•~

Claire's POV

Grief.

What a sad word.

What a torturous feeling.

I couldn't say goodbye to Louis. I couldn't bare watch as the boys, minus Niall, dug a grave with a few large wooden spoons, since they had nothing else to use. I sat down on the ground with my arms wrapped around my hurting body and a cast around my foot after Liam removed the bullet and took care or my injuries once again. Staring at Louis who lied down on the ground, I felt empty. His pale face had no joy or glow anymore. I couldn't tear my eyes away from him. A tiny part of me wished he would open his eyes and smile at us in that charming happy way he used to.

But he didn't.

He just lied down, frozen, dead.

My mind just can't comprehend and my heart won't accept it. He was in my life, every single day since the moment I met him. How am I going to move on when his absence will be felt everywhere? He was the heart of the group, he always cheered up and supported everyone in need. But nobody was there to help him when he needed us the most. God, that's so unfair.

I didn't even bother wiping my tears. Instead of warm, they felt cold as they rolled down my face once more. I was freezing from inside out in a way I couldn't explain. I couldn't even feel my own heart beating and my body felt jelly and loose. I had given up completely of myself.

I caught Liam wiping his tears with the back of his hand before he looked over at Louis. An uneasy, devastating feeling occurred him. He swallowed thickly before he suddenly blinked and started forward with wide eyes. I frowned and looked back at Louis, but I didn't see anything. strange.

“I have an idea.” He suddenly said, turning to the boys. Curiosity rose up within me slightly, but I didn't have it in me to stand up from my spot and go near them.

Zayn turned his head and looked at Liam blankly, not saying a word. Thomas kept digging while Harry ran a hand through his hair that had grown longer and nodded at Liam, mutely urging him to go on.

“I don't know if it's going to work but...what if I manage to remove the bullet and we dip him into the river? Maybe his brain will heal?” he shook his head the moment he said it, “Nah, that sounds stupid.” he dismissed it immediately, frowning. 

My heart skipped a beat. But what if? The water has healed all our wounds, maybe it could do something for Louis? It's very difficult to believe, how much happen, since Louis has been dead for over a day.

Harry sighed heavily and gave Liam a sad look. “He's gone, mate. Accept it.” he said monotonously.

“I say we try it.” Thomas said, looking up with hopeful eyes. “He deserves it, don't you think?” he cocked a brow before he wiped the sweat off his tired face.

He does. We weren't there when he needed us, but we could try something that maybe, just maybe gets to bring him back.

“His heart stopped beating for too long, man.” Liam replied sheepishly, as if the words felt heavy in his mouth.

“But the water-,“