Chapter 24

Is there anyone you trust round here?

~•~ Chapter 24 ~•~

The run back to the river was long and exhausting, but mostly nerve-kicking. We managed to reach our destination safe and sound, although we could see a few tress falling over the ground and catching up fire. I don't know for how long we can stay out in the clear before anything weird paranormal physical phenomenon appears and harms any of us again. The river's waves were angry, the stream seeming dangerously fast. I had noticed that the river had inflated, the water reached over our feet. Zayn hastily placed Niall on top of a rock, both of them panting. Zayn crouched down beside Niall and looked around, stressed.

Liam bent over and rested his hands on his knees, breathing heavily, Thomas sitting down against a tree, looking in pain. Ed and Cole collapsed down on the wet grass, exhausted. Louis, Harry and I looked around, searching for the safest way. The campbag on my back felt heavy and my legs were sore from all the tripping and running. Harry stretched his back and bit momentarily his lower lip, green eyes scanning the place, sweat trailing down his forehead. "We should follow the stream." he said skeptically.

"Not the stream.." Cole breathed heavily, lifting his head to look up at us. "Go..through..the river.." he mumbled, pushing his hair away from his forehead.

"Why should we listen to you?" Louis spat, his face flushed red. "We lost Ashton because of your orders, you punk." his voice was laced with venom.

"Hey - that wasn't our fault! He ran back without us knowing!" Ed snapped, glaring at Louis.

"You know damn well-,"

"This is not the time to fight." Zayn cut in, giving Louis a stern look.

Louis grumbled something under his breath and kicked a rock with his foot. Harry turned to give us a serious stare. "If not follow the stream, then what?" he said bluntly.

"Go through the river to the other side." Cole replied, lifting his upper body on his elbows, propping himself.

"No!" Ed shot, giving Cole a weird look.

"Yes!" Cole insisted, glaring at his brother.

"Why not?" I huffed, resting my hand on my hip.

Ed looked at me, "Because it's too dangerous, the stream could get us drowned." he replied easily, throwing his hand towards the river. He was right about that.

"Fine then, we follow the stream and go where?" Niall said, arms crossed over his chest.

"You found a car, didn't you?" Ed looked at Harry, who nodded at his question. "We could go to where we were heading yesterday-,"

"Fuck no." Thomas scoffed, shaking his head.

Ed looked annoyed, rolling his eyes. "We'll stick close to the river, we won't enter the forest. We might find more cars nearby without having to deal with panthers or some other shit."

"Why do we need the cars?" Niall shrugged.

"Fuck the cars, fuck the forest and also, fuck you." Louis scolded at Ed, blue eyes full of anger. He paced back and forth, glaring at Ed, who sat on the grass and looked irritated. "Your fucking ideas are useless." his tone was harsh and Cole seemed scared.

"I am trying to help you." Ed growled, jaw clenching.

"Fuck your help." Louis scowled.

Ed suddenly got on his feet and stormed towards Louis, making me jump. Harry instantly got between these two before Ed could get to Louis, while the rest of us watched with bewilderment. "I would suggest you not to." Harry warned, his entire posture and face screaming power and intimidation.