Chapter 57

I can see your wings....

~•~ Chapter 57 ~•~

Claire's POV

I couldn't take my eyes off of the mesmerizing beauty of sparks all around me. Absolutely breath-taking, to the point I wish I had a camera to snap a picture of this gorgeousness. With awed eyes, I gazed around, the smile of surprise still on my lips.

A few minutes later, I stepped on something that cracked under my foot, making me look down. Turning on the flashlight of my gun, I pointed it at the ground. I yelped and took a step back, my hand coming up to my mouth when I saw I had stepped on the head of a dead zombie, a bullet into his eye, his skull destroyed, blood everywhere.

My blood froze as I pointed my flashlight forward, seeing a pile of dead zombies one behind of the other. All of them had bullets in their heads. What the hell happened here? With a shaky heart, I turned around to leave, only for the fireflies around me to fly forwards, indicating me I had to follow them. I swung around, breathing rather heavily with nervousness.

Gulping, I hesitantly moved forward, stepping over the dead bodies, making sure I didn't make any noise in case any of them weren't completely dead. Holding my breath the entire time, all I can think of is that if all these zombies died at the same time, someone must've probably got chased down and had to finish them off. A cool breeze hit over my skin, having me shiver. Where are those fireflies taking me? Maybe I should go back and look for Zayn. I have a bad feeling about this.

I glanced over my shoulder to see all the fireflies flying up towards the sky, their glow intensifying. I gasped in shock when they all hit the dark clouds, making them all steadily disappear. Instantly, everything around me lit up and I was surrounded by a graveyard of zombies. As terrible and nerve-wrenching as it looked, I felt better now that everything could be seen without my flashlight.

The fireflies kept flying on top of the zombies and I followed pursuit, warily looking down at the bodies so I get to dodge any sudden incoming hit from a walking dead. I tip toed around the ripped, rotten black heart one zombie had, my stomach twisting. I pressed my lips together as my cheeks puffed, holding back the vomit. Shit, this is disgusting. But also sad, because they all were once human beings and ended up like this.

After a while, I had to walk down a downhill. Adjusting the straps of the backbags, I sighed heavily and slowly made my way where the fireflies took me. Where are they taking me? If this leads to something dangerous, I will definitely going to lose my shit. I didn't survive all of this to end up trapped again.

Once I reached the bottom, I sucked in a deep breath. All over me, were sprawled out zombies, lying down completely lifeless. I frowned deeply, my heart picking up its pace as worry and fear coursed me. Why am I here? The fireflies flew towards one body and circled around its head, creating a halo. I narrowed my eyes and moved closer, trying to ignore the horrible smell of rotten infected blood all around me.

I took a closer look, taking in the body that lied down between many others that there fireflies were pointing out for me. A large wound was on the leg and his stomach looked as if it bled terribly. I got even closer, careful not to fall over the sharp rock in front of me. Then, the fireflies flew away and disappeared, their glow going off. I looked back down at the body. My eyes then fell on the tattoos on the hand that was by his side and I felt the world crashing around me.

Oh my God.

It can't be.

“Louis?” I whispered.