Chapter 48

I tried so hard and got so far...

~•~ Chapter 48 ~•~

Claire's POV

"You do know we're probably lost, now, right?" I said with a frown, looking around the forest as the sky started to set down. It was lightly raining, the cool droplets of water crushing against my face, but the thunders warned us about the storm that was coming.

Ed scrunched his lips and raised his brows, showing uncertainty, "Possibly, yes." He muttered coolly before looking up at the sky. "We should stop right here." He slipped Zayn's camp bag off his shoulders before dropping it on the ground.

"Fine." I murmured, copying his actions and taking a seat on my camp bag. I sighed, holding my head in my hands in desperation.

We have been searching for hours and we found nothing else related to Zayn, nor footsteps or any kind of trace that could lead us back to the boys.

"Can you actually believe I used to love forests?" I chuckled lightly, shaking my head gently. Ed, who started setting his tent, gave me a blank, uninterested look. "And now I'm just...sick of being stuck in one." I added dryly, tugging at the sleeves of my sweater.

"You know what I love?" He said, cocking a brow at me.

"What?"

"Silence." he replied gruffly, giving me a cold look. I rolled my eyes, him continuing setting up. "I never asked what you like and what you don't." he grumbled, picking up two tools.

"I was just-,"

"I don't care." he cut me off, his distant green eyes meeting mine. I grimaced at his cold demeanor and just looked away. I really want to smack him so hard that he will pass out.

"Why do you always have to be such a dick?" I asked tightly, slightly raising my voice in annoyance.

He fought a smirk, amused with the way he gets under my skin. The little shit. "I'm being honest, or you don't like that either?" He said with sarcasm shown in his voice.

"No, I mean in general, you're always rude and - and-,"

"Oh, shut the fuck up," He groaned, making me laugh.

I clapped my hands once and pointed at him, "See? You just did it again!" I claimed, him laughing lightly before growing serious.

"When I don't like someone, I'm like this." He defended coolly, throwing me the message that he doesn't like me.

"Oh, so that explains the way you treat Cole."

His face instantly paled at my words, the amusement disappearing from his eyes as his look towards me grew harsh. He scowled at me, the sight actually having my stomach coil uncomfortably. I raised my brows expectingly, waiting for his reply, but it never came. I stood up and started taking the tent supplies out. Even though I absolutely have no idea what to do, I'd rather start now and possibly make it before the rain grows tough on me and I end up like a wet cat.

Just as I pulled out one clip, two more fell off my bag and a large metallic tool that I have no idea where it helps. The sound made Ed turn and look at me before he rolled his eyes and continued with his job. I stole glances at him, trying to find the same tools he was using and put the same pieces together but I was lost.