Chapter_31.ConnectingTheDots/mdcrk

//Search.AlertAlarm.#873640

Subject Found: Soares, Paul, Jr. 

//Display.ArchivedData.#004

Data Found. Point of view created.

I carefully led my crew of search party members through the dangerous terrain, constantly muttering "Be careful" and "Watch out for that lava." It was so incessant that I'm pretty sure the entire group was annoyed by the time we reached what I call "the crater."

After having Baj almost fall into a pit of lava, needing to rapidly pry a glob of lava off of Avidya's right arm, and extinguishing my hat, which had mysteriously burst into flame and was now a little more singed than normal, let's just say this wasn't exactly what I was looking for. It was a gaping hole devoid of all life, with lava pooling around it and flowing into it. The remains of destroyed buildings could also be seen surrounding the crater, and they seemed to match in state to the odd contraptions we also came across on our journey to the crater.  I wanted to explore the obliterated buildings and ruins, but was convinced otherwise by my team, some treasure hunters they are.

I kid, but maybe, just maybe they would've given some insight to the terrible sight we were witnessing before us. I decided to scout the monstrous pit alone, unwilling to be swayed by the thoughts of my companions. Etho had debated with me slightly, though he was eventually convinced to drop it by Jsano, who wanted to check the group's injuries, especially Avidya's since the burn left by the lava had only been bandaged hastily, and probably needed more attention.

Moving quickly, before someone could try to argue with my decision again, I hammered a spike into the ground with the hilt of the pick axe that was on my belt, and tied a rope around it, throwing the rope over the edge of the side of the crater. I then slowing began to climb down. When I finally made it to the bottom of the hole, I could see the rest of the team staring down at me. Jsano gave me a thumbs up, which I returned, then carefully began to explore my surroundings. As I did, I thought about what this place could be. It actually reminded me of the Dead Lands, an area of the main continent sectioned off for scientific reasons, mostly for experiments and research. Guude said one time he was approached by a scientist from the Dead Lands, and was asked to sponsor his branch. The only thing he would need to do was give "minimal" supplies and send some of the Mindcrackers down to the lab for a "tour" or something. In return, the man had said, Guude and the rest of the council would be given some high tech gear. If this is anything like the heart of the Dead Lands, though, since I haven't seen much of the place, I'm glad Guude turned down the offer.

After a bit of wandering I was able to climb into what appeared to be a basement to one of the decimated buildings. There wasn't much inside, just a small abandoned area, and a cow trapped in an enclosure made of iron and glass. The creature mooed pitifully at me, and I had to fight back the urge to set the cow free, I mean, it could have a disease or something, right? Climbing atop the cow's "cage," I was then standing in the ruins of what seemed to once be a small dirt hut. The place was filled with redstone contraptions and chests of useless items, as well as having some papers pinned to the wall. One in particular caught my attention, something titled "Census." Some common names were scrawled on the sheet, "Jack" and "Michael" being among them. There were three out of the ordinary, though. There were two at the bottom that were faint and partially singed, and seemed to be longer names, though I couldn't make out what they read. The other was really interesting, though. Positioned under "Jordan" was "Beef," written in the same handwriting as if it wasn't out of the ordinary at all.

This couldn't be the Beef we were looking for, right? Right? I couldn't take any chances. I ripped the paper off from where it was pinned on the wall and dashed out of the building. My mind was racing, and there were so many questions. I usually wouldn't be so brash, but this was a breakthrough. What if Beef was kidnapped? What if he was taken here? What if we still had time to find him?

I jumped over rocks and pools of lava, trying my best to keep the "Census" paper intact. I soon made it to the rope, climbing it quickly and attempting not to crush the paper.

We had a lead now, the pieces of the puzzle were starting to piece together. And I couldn't waste any time now that they were.