Chapter_55.ConsequencesOfBrashActions/mdcrk

//Search.AlertAlarm.#610904

Subject Found: (Classified), Daniel. Alias: "VintageBeef"

//Display.ArchivedData.#004

Data Found. Point of view created.

After more running, our pace had slowed again. I turned my head around to get a good look at the lab we had escaped from, immediately observing that the building was smoking profusely and that large parts of it had crumbled. As I continued to look, I saw that sections of the lab had burst into flame, and all in all, the place was not in good shape.

As I was about to turn back around, though, I saw the building go from in bad condition to worse condition.

The entire place exploded as if a nuclear bomb had gone off, and I had to avert my eyes due to the extremely bright blast. When I finally turned back, my ears ringing, the building was just a mushroom cloud, which more than likely was housing an enormous crater. Then, right before my eyes, a great blast wave came off the cloud, the wave coming straight for us.

We must have all seen it, as we were all running at the same time, sprinting with all our might and using any remaining ounces of energy that were in our beings.

But, of course, we weren't fast enough.

The wave of burning flame caught up to us, and I could only start to feel a burning on the back of my legs before everything went to black.

When I awoke, it was daybreak.

I was flat on my back, and my whole body ached. My legs and right arm were painful to move, and I could spy a gash on my skin right below my neck. Once I sat up, I was able to further access the damage and take in my surroundings.

I quickly discovered that the right sleeve of my shirt had been burned off, with my arm being slightly singed as well, which was more than likely the cause of the pain. The same went for my legs. I wasn't quite sure where the gash came from, but it was only lazily oozing blood which was a good sign. The edges of my apron were also scorched, but other than that, I was fairly okay.

Along with the observation of my own condition, I quickly found with a look around the area that everyone else was in a similar state or worse, though they all seemed to be alive. Most were flat on the ground, whether they were on their stomachs, sides, or backs, while others were propped up against the iron wrought fence, some looking like they had been thrown up against it, while others appeared to have crawled and sat against it.

The Achievement Hunter named Ray seemed to have gotten the worst of it by far, though.

He was a good couple feet off the ground, and his left arm was awkwardly stuck in the fence that separated the Dead Lands from the rest of the continent. I could only guess it was broken, though from the angle, it was hard to tell.

Even so, though, he, along with the others, still appeared to be alive, and that was all that mattered I suppose.

Along with that stroke of luck, I found that a good chunk of our supplies were intact, with some being scattered on the ground, some still in mine carts, and others, along with some of the aforementioned carts, were stuck on the iron wrought fence just like poor Ray.

As I began to lift myself from the sandy ground of the Dead Lands, though, grateful for the luck we had gotten, I still had one question.

What had happened back there?