Chapter_54.Escape/capspk

//Search.AlertAlarm.#102958

Subject Found: Maron, Jordan. Alias: "CaptainSparklez"

//Display.ArchivedData.#013

Data Found. Point of view created.

I slammed my fist down on the button, which beeped once, before setting off blaring red alarms throughout the room. I felt satisfied for a few moments, but suddenly, the entire building began to shake, before one of the machines in the control room exploded, launching me across the room. There was no countdown, the self destruction was occurring immediately!

I lifted myself from the floor after hitting one of the walls and scrambled out of the control room and towards the elevator, instantly regretting my decision. The rest of the search party, who hopefully had found the captured Mindcrackers, were still underground in the basement!

I threw myself into the contraption, quickly hitting the ground floor button, sighing in relief when the elevator immediately plunged downward. Another explosion rocked the lab as the contraption transporting me continued to descend, though, sending the elevator rocking. Fortunately, it still was able to arrive at the lobby.

I unsheathed my broadsword when the elevator arrived at my destination, expecting to have to somehow force my way through the iron bars that had initially impeded my progress when I was attempting to access the elevator the first time. Luckily though, said bars had retracted into the ceiling, most likely for quick evacuation purposes.

Due to this stroke of luck, I sprinted out of the contraption, swiftly crossing about a quarter of the lobby in my attempt to beeline for the exit. Once I was about a third of the way there, I could see the others making their way up the steps that led to the basement, some of them carrying or helping the kidnapped Mindcrackers.

As soon as I turned to look at the rest of the search party, two explosions occurred.

One happened behind them, lighting up the area to their backs and shaking the staircase, as well as unbalancing some of the others. The other occurred in the middle of the lobby, only a bit away from the rest of the group, as well as myself, and created a large crater in the center of the area. It separated us all from escape, but apparently it wasn't going to stop anyone.

We were all immediately clambering through it, either jumping down and traversing the uneven ground to the other side or jumping over smaller gaps in the now destroyed floor of the lobby.

Eventually, everyone was on the other side, even those supporting those who had been kidnapped, and the entire group was sprinting towards the door. It took us a bit, but we did get out, some of us gasping for breath, and all resting in front lab.

Then there were more explosions, and we all began to run again.

We were picking up speed, now in possession of the supplies we had left outside the lab, and were more or less running on adrenaline, as the building behind us  was torn to pieces.

We seemed to have made it out of the worst of it within a few minutes, and began to slow down, the adrenaline was wearing off anyway, our pace akin to walking.

Then the whole lab went up, as if a nuke had been dropped, and suddenly an explosive blast wave was coming straight for us.