Chapter 51

a/n Warning, stronger language then usual in this chapter + italics is a memory

Harry's POV

"Harry?" The single word ricocheted through my skull, intensifying the already unbearable pain my head radiated. The rancid taste in my mouth further irritated my already churning stomach and the thought of ingesting anything anytime soon had me on the brink of having my head stuck in a toilet for the next few hours. 

I squinted at McKenna who had paused at the front hall with a gaping mouth, cheeks flushed from the cool air outside. She seeming to be searching for something to say as she took in my pathetic state still stretched over the couch. Her fingers dropped from the buttons of her jacket she had yet to take off and approached me. McKenna slid the empty overturned bottles onto the coffee with a small grimace and sat next to me with a look I couldn't decipher.

“Something’s happened,” It was a statement rather than a question. McKenna knew better than to think things were okay.

“Yes,” I rasped, sleep still thick in my voice.

“It’s bad,” McKenna stated again, eyeing the bottles then looking back to me.

“Yes.” There was a moment of silence as McKenna prepared herself for the news. Although, no amount of preparation would help soften the blow of what I was about to tell her. 

She surprised me by asking while gesturing to the bottles, "Where did you get that?" 

"Charlie had a stash in her closet," I spat, closing my eyes again. 

I heard McKenna let out a sigh then she got up. I didn't bother asking where she was going, I had a pretty good idea.

"Could you get me some water?" I called when I heard her coming back from Charlie's room...was it still Charlie's room?

"Want some advil while I'm at it?"

"Please," I rubbed my temples. I heard her fill a glass and grab the pills then she came back into the living room and put them into my hands.

I sat up and downed the pills and the water, eager for the pills to kick in, "Thanks." 

McKenna nodded then opened the vodka she took from Charlie's stash and took a sip, wincing at the burn. After a couple of more mouth fulls, McKenna said, "Okay, I'm ready to hear it."

I took the bottle from her and took a gulp while she looked at me with shock and concern, "Are you sure that's the best idea?"

"No," I snorted, taking another drink before passing the bottle back. I could care less if it was a good idea or not, I needed the buzz to spit out that Charlie had left. 

"I don't know where to start."

"The beginning?" McKenna suggested, her calm voice contradicting her white knuckled grip she had on the bottle neck. 

"Does Charlie know anyone in London besides us?" I asked. McKenna would notice if Charlie had been seeing other people besides us but then again, I was her boyfriend and I didn't even know. A lump lodged in my throat at the use of past tense. 

"No?"

"Are you sure? She didn't have anyone over or was going out frequently?" I pressed.

"No, I would have noticed if she had met someone," McKenna told me. I shook my head, still confused as fuck. What was I missing?  

"Why?" 

"Because there was a fire that they think was intentionally set. Guards were also drugged and the fence was cut. She couldn't have done that on her own," Thinking of some prick touching her set my teeth on edge and my blood boiling.