Chapter 37

"Just kill me quickly" I squeezed my eyes shut, not wanting to witness what he was going to do to me. I didn't bother begging for my life because it wouldn't do any good. 

I was a fool to believe that I was really out. Even though I had escaped, I would never truly be out and free until they were in jail or, better yet, dead.

"I won't kill you quite yet. I think we'll have a little bit of fun first" He whispered in my ear, making the hair on my arm stand up. Peter got up, finally allowing me to breath, and shrunk back into the darkness of the hall and disappeared. I laid there shivering in the dark, trying to bulk up the courage to get up and call the police. But I felt like I was right back there in the house in the basement alone with no one to help me. I took some calming breaths and concentrated on slowing my pulse then got up as quickly as I could to turn the light on. Somehow, I felt safer in the light where I can see my surroundings. 

My tears felt hot on my clammy skin as they dripped down my face and made wet spots on my shirt. I could hear my panicked heartbeat loud and clear bouncing around in my skull along with the words "I think we'll have a little fun first". 

My breath caught in my throat as I realized something; McKenna was in the other room. What if Peter had done something to her?! What if they had done something to the rest of the boys of their families?! Suddenly, my situation didn't matter. My concerns were no longer for myself, but for my friends. My family. The only people I had left. 

I stumbled out into the hall, my legs feeling like jelly and ice at the same time, and burst into McKennas room. I flicked on the light and gasped "McKenna, get up! We need to get out now"

She sat up, startled, and mumbled in a sleep filled voice "What's going on?"

"He was in here" I sobbed and scrambled to the side of her bed "Peter was in here. He attacked me. I don't know where he is now but we need to get out of here!" I spoke while I tugged her out of bed. McKenna grabbed her cell phone off the charger as I unlocked the door. 

"Where are we going?" McKenna asked as we ran out into the hall. 

"I don't know? The front desk?" I suggested, breathing hard. It was only 9:30, someone should still be there. We got down the stairs and went up to the desk. The teenager at the desk had shaggy brown hair and a glazed over look in his eye. 

"Call the police" McKenna ordered as soon as me got to the desk. 

"What?" He snapped awake, looking shocked at the sight of us. 

"There was a intruder in our apartment. Please call the police" McKenna repeated, a little frustrated. He nodded and yelled to the back while picking up a phone "Dad, I need help up here!"

A man with grey hair, our landlord, came up while rubbing his eyes "What is it Caleb?" As soon as he saw us, he became more alert. His name is Darrel. 

"Girls, what happened?" He asked, coming around the counter. 

"The man who kidnapped us was in our apartment" I cried, shaking. 

"It's going to be okay. You're safe now" Darrel soothed, rubbing my arm. 

"I gotta call Niall and the others" McKenna said, scrolling through her phone. 

"Can I use your cell phone?" I asked Darrel. We needed to get word to the boys as fast as possible. 

"Yeah sure" He pulled out his phone and handed it to me. I quickly dialed Harrys number and drummed my fingers on the counter as it ran, impatient for Harry to pick up. It went to voice mail. 

"Damn it" I mumbled, dialling the number again. 

On the fourth ring, Harry answered the phone "Hello?"