Chapter 30

Charlotte's POV

My feet felt like they were covered in blisters and if I took another step, I would collapse. But I didn't, I just kept trudging alongside Harry. No one said a word. All that could be heard was the occasional sniffle and gravel shifting under our feet.

My head felt like it might explode and emotionally, mentally, and physically I was exhausted. I didn't see how I could ever feel joy again.

Everyone halted so I turned and saw Liam losing it. He put his hands on his head and was sobbing uncontrollably.

"No...we need to go back. We have to save her" he cried.

"Liam you aren't strong enough-"

"That's the problem!" Liam screamed "I wasn't strong enough to protect her! I wasn't strong enough to get her out if there! I was supposed to be there for her! She should be next to me!"

"Liam...this wasn't your fault"

He fell to his knees, crying into his hands. The boys didn't say anything, they just surrounded Liam, got down on their knees, and put their arms around him. This little action did more than saying 1,000 words. Liam just leaned on them and cried, finally breaking down.

McKenna shuffled over and put her arms over my shoulders and I did the same. She put her head on my shoulder and silently cried. We just stated like that for half an hour.

Finally, the boys helped Liam up and he wiped his face.

"You good enough to go on?" Niall asked? Liam nodded, shanking a little. We kept on the road for what seemed like hours, without a single vehicle passing or building in sight. It was beginning to seem like this road would never end.

Finally, a town approached. Walking back into civilization was a weird feeling. I wasn't cooped up in some home anymore, I could go where I wanted too. The thing I was most excited about was seeing my family again. I wanted their familiar hugs and comfort. I hope Morgan, my sister, was at home instead of university. Yes, she would be home supporting Mom and Dad.

It took another fifteen minutes to get to town but we finally made it. A gas station was the first building we approached.

I spotted a man filling up his car with gas. He had grey hair and wore a suit with the tie loosened and top button undone. He looked tired after a stressful and taxing day at work. Man, I knew the feeling.

He saw the group, walking up on him like zombies. I'm sure we looked the part with our dirty clothes, blood smeared skin, and slow pace from limping and exhaustion.

The man took a few steps back from shock. He gasped and blinked to see if we were actually there.

"What...what happened?!" He exclaimed.

"We've been kidnapped. We just escaped. We have been walking for miles and we are injured. Please help us!" McKenna sobbed, borderline hysterical. I didn't know it she was crying from pain, grief, or happiness. Maybe all three. The man nodded, saying something I didn't really register, and pulled out his cell phone.

A fog of haziness entered my mind. It was slow and creeping at first but all if a sudden, I was in the middle of it with way out. Like in every direction I turned, there was more fog and confusion. I could feel my head spinning a bit but I really didn't have control. I felt like I was right back on the floor with Harry being killed in front of me.

I fell to the ground and let the darkness overcome me and swallow me whole.

**

That constant beeping really irritated me. So did these scratchy clothes. Where was I? I couldn't feel any pain, thank god, but the thing that kind if worried me was I couldn't feel anything.