Chapter 34

Charlotte's POV

"So, is there anything else I should know?" The police officer asked, scribbling things on a notepad. They were taking my statement about what happened for the billionth time. All I wanted to do was forget what happened but I couldn't with them wanting me to retell the story every other day. But one thing had been nagging at me, like an itch on your back that you just can't quite reach.

I yawned, exhausted. Listening to the nurses and doctors pace outside my room last night had kept me up along with my racing thoughts.

"Miss. Palmer?" The officer brought back my attention "It's okay, this is a safe place. You can tell me anything" He soothed.

"When I was crawling through then vent and I fell through...I found something. In the basement" I said, stuttered.

"What did you find?" The officer sat forward, now at the edge of his seat next to my bed.

"A document. Adoption papers" I replied, tears dripping down my face.

He took my hand "It's alright, you're safe. Do you remember who it was for?"

"For Peter Carlson. The adoptive mother was named as Laura Browne and the birth mother was named as Julia Hoffman" I finally said. My throat was tight and slick with tears.

"Peter, as in the man that took you?" He replied.

"Yes" I nodded.

"Julia Hoffman...isn't that your grandmothers name?" The officer asked.

"Yes" I repeated.

"So" he sat back "you're saying that you are related to him?"

"It would appear so"

"Did you take the document?" He asked, eagerly.

"Yeah, I did. It was in my jacket...which I dropped at the scene. It was covered in Claire's blood. I didn't think about it at the time" Why couldn't something go my way for once? The mention of Claire brought more pain. I missed her. I wonder how her mother is doing, terrible I'd assume. Her baby didn't come home.

The officer nodded "Okay, I will look into it. We didn't find a jacket or any sort of paperwork at the scene. They must have taken it with then when they...escaped"

"Okay" I nodded and shook his outstretched hand.

"Thank you Miss. Palmer" He turned to leave.

"Officer?" He stopped "Would you mind telling me what you find out?"

He nodded with a sad smile "Of course" and with that, he left. I wiped my face and took a sip of water from the bedside table. McKenna was with Niall so I was all by myself now.

Harry walked in minutes later.

"Hey, love" He greeted, flashing his dimples.

"Hey Harry" I replied, feeling immensely better. I scooted over.

"Would you...?" I let the question trail off. He knew what I meant.

Harry nodded and laid down next to me, putting his arms around me.

"Thanks" I replied, putting my head in the crook if his neck.

"What did the police want?" Harry asked.

"Just another statement" I told him.

"Yeah, someone took mine again yesterday" They probably took everyone's again.

"Harry, I wanted to talk to you about something and I'm not sure how you're going to feel about it" I said in an uneven voice.

"What is it?" I felt the rumble of his voice under my head.