Chapter 50

Harry's POV

"We've searched the entire hospital numerous times. It appears that Charlotte has succeeded in her plans of escaping."

The first thing I felt was cold, unavoidable, white hot pain that surged through my body like an  inescapably devastating tidal wave. It ripped through me, leaving no part untouched or unharmed, obliterating everything in it's destructive path.

She really did it. Despite everything, Charlie hard really left me. She'd left all of us. 

"We've sent people after her but she's covered her tracks well. Not to worry though, we won't stop looking until Charlotte's been brought back safely," Dr. Owen assured me but I wasn't really listening. The next thing I felt was blinding rage, fueled by the pain that still coursed through me. 

"How could you allow this to happen?" I gripped the chair arms so hard, my knuckles were white. 

"We-."

"You said you would keep her here," I interrupted in a shaky, low voice spoken through gritted teeth. 

"She had help," Dr. Owen told me, keeping her poker face. 

"Excuse me?"

"We suspect she had help in breaking out. The fire was intentionally set, providing the perfect cover for an escape. The guards were also drugged and the fence was cut near the back. Charlotte could not have done all of that on her own," While speaking, Dr. Owen pulled out her computer and began typing. 

"This is the last footage we have of her before the security cameras went out," She spun the computer around so I could see the recording. Charlie was  laying on the bed with her eyes closed and a slight smile playing on her lips. The room soon turned dark with a red light flashing, signalling the fire. Charlie sat up and approached the glass, looking around apprehensively. The doors clicked open and confusion flickered over her hauntingly beautiful features as she realized what was happening. She stuck her head out and looked left and right before stopping again. I noticed Charlie chewing on her lip, a thing she did when she was nervous.

Just as I thought she'd leave, Charlie retreated back into the cell and sat on the bed. Why isn't she running? What is Charlie waiting for? I could not figure out what she was doing as Charlie closed her eyes again. The footage went to static and I shook my head, not understanding a second of what Dr. Owen had shown me. 

"I thought you said Charlie left?"

"She did."

"It bloody well didn't look like it, now did it?" I gestured to the computer, anger overpowering the confusion. 

Dr. Owen sighed and shrugged, "More then likely, Charlie decided to stay then had a change of heart."

"Who helped her?" That bastard probably convinced her to leave. My chest tightened at the thought of her with another man. Charlie couldn't possibly have been seeing someone behind my back...could she?

"We don't know," Well what the hell did they know? Their incompetence wasn't helping my already nonexistent patience, setting me further on edge. 

"She doesn't know anyone in London that would help her break out," My mind was going a mile a minute in several directions, causing an enormous headache. 

"I don't know what to tell you, Harry. I'm sorry." I stood up and stormed to the door, not able to stand a second more in Dr. Owen's office. I knew I would do something I'd regret if I stayed a second longer. 

"Harry, I-," I slammed the door so hard the frame shook, effectivly cutting off whatever Dr. Owen was about to say. I left the hospital and got into my car then took out my phone as I pulled out of the stall.