Chapter 45

Charlotte's POV

I absentmindedly shifted around, trying to sooth the itch cause by the ridiculous green t-shirt and pants I was wearing, courtesy of psychiatric hospital I was forced into. At the moment, I was in the common room for the third time since my arrival two days ago. The other patients around me would play board games, talk to each other or themselves, or stumble around bumping into things. I ignored them for the most part.

I sat in a seat near the back of the room, an ugly floral printed arm chair that squeaked with the tiniest movements. I took up my usual habit since arriving here and stared at a spot on the wall, ignoring the outside world and getting lost in trying to sort out my messed up thoughts. 

Mrs. Owen has already been to see me twice and each time I would do the same thing, stare at something other then her and not speak a word no matter how hard she pressed with her annoyingly constant questions.  

I'd lose my sense of time when I did this. It could seem like two seconds but, in fact, be two hours or vice versa. Today felt quick, like someone had hit 'fast forward' on a remote to make the world around me a blur. 

Suddenly, I felt a hand on my shoulder so I jerked away. 

"I'm sorry Ms. Palmer, but it's visiting hours and someone's here to see you," The nurse said gently. Everyone around here spoke to me like I would have a psychotic break if they said the wrong thing or spoke too harshly. Their attempt to calm me had the opposite effect though, making me more and more aggravated with every word spoken to me. I just wish someone would have a normal conversation with me and treat me like everyone else. But I guess that was the problem, the fact that I'm in here says that I am indeed not like everyone else and therefore should be treated differently. 

I didn't reply to the nurse but got up and followed her out to the visiting area. I hadn't had anyone come to visit me since I was committed. I wonder who it would be. 

As much as I didn't want to feel it, I was excited to see a familiar face. But I couldn't let whoever it was visiting me know that. They need to know that I'm very angry and they won't be easily forgiven. 

I eagerly scanned the room for a familiar face. I spotted Harry at a back table who was staring at me with wide eyes. 

The nurse nudged me in the direction of the table so I walked over and took a seat across from him. If I had a choice in the matter, I would have left the room without speaking to him. I didn't know if I was ready to face him and the reality of our relationship. 

We examined each other for a minute. He looked like he needed a shower, a decent sleep, and some fresh air. I knew the feeling. 

"Hi," He finally said. 

"Hi," My greeting was harsher then I had intended it to be. Harry flinched at my cold greeting and cast his eyes down. 

"How've you been?" Harry shifted uncomfortably as I folded my arms across my chest. 

"Peachy," I said through gritted teeth, feeling the rage build up again. Harry didn't believe me and had put me in here. I had a right to be mad at him.

"Look-," He started but I cut him off. 

"You know what, if you're going to give me the whole 'I don't date crazy chicks' speech, just save it. Just say we're done and leave," I spat at him. I saw the hurt flash in Harry's eyes and I instantly regretted my words. 

"I put you in here to help you, Charlotte," He sat forward, "I didn't want to but you gave me no choice"

"You had a choice. You chose not to believe me and you chose to put me here," Harry bit his lip and cast his eyes down again. I knew I was being cruel but I couldn't help it.