Chapter 20

Charlotte's POV

"You're the reason Niall's dead!"

I heard glass shatter but I didn't know what it was. I looked down to see that I had dropped my glass of water and it had broken all over my foot and floor.

Shock set in and I wasn't able to find my voice. I blinked hard, trying to process what Harry just said. He hated me and blamed me for Niall's death.

My throat felt dry and weird. I tried to catch my breath but it hitched.

"Excuse me" somehow slipped out of my mouth and I ran to my room. My motions were robotic and stiff. I closed the door softy behind me and threw myself into a heap on my bed. I curled up, hugging my knees to my chest. It felt like the last five minutes hadn't happened. Like me and Harry were still together and I was still whole.

But I was broken.

He just...snapped. He confirmed my fears even though he assured me everything was fine. I was so confused, overwhelmed, and hurt. I just sobbed and tried not to think about what would happen but failed miserably as usual.

**

I heard the door open and I jumped, hoping it wasn't Harry. I wasn't ready to see him yet. Just leaving my room would be a step.

"Charlie?" McKenna asked softly. I took a calming breath but the knots in my stomach didn't let up.

"Can I come in?" She asked.

"Yeah" I moved over so she could sit on the bed beside me. I felt the springs squeak with the new weight.

"Is it stupid to ask if you're okay?" She murmured.

"I'm just...numb at the moment" I answered truthfully.

"I know the feeling"

"I'm sorry. Are you any better?" I asked.

"I'm dealing but it's difficult. I just miss him so much" she sobbed. I got up and put my arms around her.

"It's not your fault though. Harry had no right to say what he did" she pulled back and whipped her damp face.

"I don't get what I did wrong. Everything was fine..." I trailed off, lost in thought.

"Well dinner is ready. Want to come out and eat with us?" McKenna offered.

I shook my head "I can't even look at him"

She nodded and got up "I'll come check on you later, okay?"

"Okay. Thanks" I laid back down and hugged my pillow to my chest. I took another deep breath and realized the pillow still smelled like Harry. I threw it against the door and turned away.

My heart ached and I had no more tears to cry. I just laid there, drifting.

**

Harry's POV

"She said she isn't hungry" McKenna announced as she came back into the kitchen.

"Why'd you do that, mate? That isn't you?" Zayn asked me.

I formed my response, hoping they would catch on. But it was a long shot.

"It needed to be done"

"No. It didn't" Liam said.

"I don't have to explain myself to you!" I yelled. There were too many questions I couldn't answer and I couldn't risk it. If pushing my friends away meant saving Niall's life, then I would do it.