Chapter 24

Charlotte's POV

I woke up feeling like I was back at home in the dead of winter. My teeth chattered and my stomach hurt from tensing so hard that it felt like I'd just done 50 crunches in a row. I forced my body to relax and reached down to pull the blankets up tighter.

All I grabbed was a fistful of my pants. Groaning, I opened my eyes in search of the covers. By the light of a nightlight I had found earlier, I saw that there were no blankets covering me or Harry. What the hell?

I knew I wouldn't be able to sleep in this temperature so I got up and slipped out of the room after grabbing a sweater. Might as well go check on Niall.

As I descended down the stairs, I felt the temperature drop further. The concrete sent goosebumps up my legs. I heard Niall's snores and teeth chattering so I looked closer. His blankets were no where to be found either. What the hell was going on?!

This wasn't a natural cold; it was them. They were torturing us again! This time, they planned to freeze us. Having no blankets made things even worse and they knew that. Niall shouldn't be down here; this is the coldest part of the house.

I shook him gently, whispering "Niall. Wake up"

"What....it's bloody cold! Where are the blankets?" He shivered.

"I think it's them. All the blankets are gone. Upstairs is slightly warmer so let me help you up. I'll find something for you to keep warm with" My thoughts were already racing with possibilities for warmth.

"Okay" Niall nodded and we made our way upstairs and on the couch.

"I'll be right back" I said

I made my way back to the basement and pulled the fitted sheet off both the beds. It wasn't a blanket but it was the next best thing. It wasn't the time to be picky. I saw that my fingers were ghostly white and shaking when I pulled the sheet off the second bed.

Suddenly, I felt a sharp crack against my skull. Before I could even turn around, I was thrown onto the ground and someone climbed on top of me. A fist was jammed into my windpipe so I couldn't call out. I fought blindly, kicking and throwing my fists.

Finally, I saw who my attacker was; Lucy.

She punched me repeatedly in the face, drawing blood from my nose and mouth. I spat a mouthful of saliva and blood into her face. Momentarily distracted by wiping her face, I threw another punch which finally connected with flesh. Man, punching someone almost hurt as much as getting hit myself.

Ignoring the pain, I rolled us so that I was on top and had more control. Lucy clawed wildly, managing to draw blood on my arm. I just kept bringing my fist down on her face. I wanted to knock her out so she couldn't hurt me and maybe we could use her as leverage to get out!

Lucy reached above and I realized, a second too late, that she had pulled out a drawer from the cabinet. She hit me with it, spilling its contents, and I rolled off. I was dazed and confused now. Everything seemed to be tilted and I didn't know if I was moaning or there was a ringing in my ears. Maybe both.

Lucy kicked me in the ribs a few times. I was too weak to fight back now.

"Wow, your pathetic" she sneered.

"What the hell is going on?" I spat, struggling not to yell. Talking really hurt!

"The cold?" I nodded, trying to keep the talking to a minimal.

She shrugged "Ask your boyfriend" she dragged the last word out.

"Harry? What's he got to do with anything" I demanded, rubbing my jaw.