Chapter 44

Charlotte's POV

I woke up feeling stiff and heavy. Memories of last night flooded my mind and my chest tightened. My anger was swallowed whole by the burning sadness and pain I felt. I wanted to be mad at Harry, furious even, but I desperately wanted more for him to be here to comfort me.

I sat up, rubbing my red and puffy eyes, and trudged out of the room without bothering to dress out of my fluffy blue pants and black tank top. I honestly didn't care what I looked like right now.

I entered the kitchen and saw McKenna sitting at the table eating a plate of eggs and reading a book.

"Hey," My voice was rough and croaky.

McKenna jumped, slamming the book down and dropping the spoon, and tuned to me, "Oh my god! Charlie, you gave me a heart attack!"

"Sorry," I said lifelessly. I slumped into the chair across from her and stared at a blemish in the wood of the caramel coloured table.

"What are you doing here?" She asked, closing her book.

"I live here, remember?"

"Well yes," She smiled a little, "But I didn't expect you till tomorrow?"

I shrugged, "I won't be staying at Harry's anymore"

McKenna looked at me confused, "Why not?"

"We needed some space"

"Space," She repeated, making a face as if the word tasted sour in her mouth, "I thought things were better?"

"They were"

"Okay, enough with the short answers," McKenna huffed, frustrated, "What happened?"

"Me and Harry fought and I left," I didn't feel like going back into what had happened. I myself didn't even fully understand it.

McKenna shook her head, "Wait, wait, left for good?"

"I don't know," I answered honestly. The thought of losing Harry seemed unbearable. The pain I felt now that our relationship with hanging on by a thread would be nothing compared to the pain of if that thread were to break, forever separating us.

I got up and went into the kitchen and made myself some eggs also. Not because I was hungry but because I couldn't sit still. I needed something to do to distract me from everything that was happening.

I sat back down with the eggs and a glass of orange juice and shoved a forkful in my mouth. It felt foreign in my mouth and I struggled to swallow it but I kept eating until I'd cleared the plate. Then I washed the dishes and put them away. In fact, I went back to my room and did a load of laundry and vacuumed the whole apartment, just for something to distract me. I moved quickly and quietly through the apartment under the worried stare of McKenna who failed to coax out of me what went on between me and Harry.

Once I couldn't think of anything else to do in the apartment, I sat down and watched some mind numbing television.

"Let's go out," McKenna suggested in an over cheery voice, sitting next to me.

"I don't want to go out," I murmured evenly, not looking away from the T.V.

"So you just want to mope around all day?"

"Yup," That's exactly what I wanted to do.

"No, that's not an option," McKenna told me, pulling me to my feet and leading me to my bedroom. She pulled out some clothes for me and ordered for me to get dressed. Obviously McKenna wasn't going to take no for an answer so I got into the clothes she picked without really looking at them. I somewhat tamed my hair and brushed my teeth then left the apartment, trailing after McKenna sluggishly.