Chapter 60 - Epilogue

Harry's POV

7 Years Later.

I grabbed the large bouquet of flowers off the empty passenger seat and stepped out of the car after 10 minutes of sitting and staring out the window in silence. The rows of gravestones were daunting and being here, again, sent my stomach in knots. I was here visiting at least once every few months. But the amount of visits were lessening as the years past. We were moving on but we would never forget. 

The sun was still low in the sky to the west, casting shadows over the neatly cut, dew covered grass. Gravel crunched under my boots as I made my way down the familiar path that lead to the back of the graveyard. The placement was nice - secluded under a large oak tree that looked lovely no matter what season it was. I made sure to distance myself from the names and ages in elegant black script covering each of the stones I passed. Since that night, I didn't handle death well. Seeing everything I did had left an inevitable, irreversible, and permanent scar on me that would remain no matter how many hours I spent on a couch in an office that smelt like leather and the inside of an old closet. 

Once I finally reached my destination, I crouched down and lay the flowers in front of the large tomb stone carefully. I read over the words even though I could recite them from memory without pause. Beloved by family, cherished by friends. 

"They're gorgeous, Harry. Thank you," Charlotte smiled, a beautifully sad smile, as she gazed down at her families tomb stones. Her parents were buried together and Morgan next to them in a family plot. I stepped back and wrapped an arm around her, tugging her small frame closer to mine. Charlie leaned into me and I could feel her body heat even through our jackets.

"Baby, we should get her inside. Penny's looking a little chilly," Charlotte looked down to our beautiful six month old daughter and brushed her rosie cheek lightly. Penny, like she always did, reached up to tug on a loose curl that had fallen over Charlie's shoulder. Charlie nodded her head and we started making our way back to my vehicle, taking one last glance at her families final resting place. Charlie had taken a taxi here with Penny very early, before I'd even awoken, because she wanted some alone time with her family and I suspected she also wanted to introduce our daughter to them in a way. The only way she can. 

Even at this age, it astounded me how much Penny looked like her mother. Charlie insisted it was just me but I would swear she was identical if it weren't for her green eyes and dimples. Everything else seemed to be pure Charlie and because of that I now had two stunning girls in my life, a fact that I will be forever grateful for. I can still remember that night like it was yesterday. 

-

I heard a bang, a body drop, and the final gun shot of the night faded into silence. McKenna half sobbed, half screamed into either Niall's chest or her hand. I couldn't tell because my eyes were still squeezed shut. My heartbeat was pounding hard on the back of my ribs and I didn't dare even draw a breath. The silence seemed to stretch out for an eternity.

Without warning, I felt a body collide hard with mine and I stumbled back because I wasn't prepared but managed to stay on my feet. I was enveloped in Charlie's scent as she threw her arms around my neck and hung on for dear life. I wrapped one of my own around her waist and tangled the other in her hair, holding her as close as I possibly could to make sure she was really here in my embrace. I finally opened my eyes to see Peter where he previously stood laying on the ground with a bullet hole in the side of his forehead. 

"Harry..." Charlie sobbed into my neck and I could feel her entire body tembling. She was still very terrified but I, on the other hand, felt nothing but sweet relief. 

"Shh," I stroked her hair soothingly, "It's okay, baby. It's over now. It's finally over."

-

It took a long time for things to reach a level of normalcy for all of us, especially Charlotte. She closed herself off from everyone and it killed me but I gave her the space she needed. Slowly, she found her way back to me and eventually told me all of what happened to her. Truth be told, I was absolutely livid as she explained everything but for her sake, I kept my face smooth of expression. Things got better after that. Charlotte would actually go out with us, talk, smile. She even went on from university to become a very successful therapist, specializing in traumatic events. I am thankful Charlie can use what we went through to help people. I'm proud of what she's accomplished.

I also went on to university and now own and manage a very large chain of successful gyms. God knows I spent a hell of a lot of time in them after getting Charlie back and everything just kind of fell into place for me. 

"I can't believe we were here for Niall and McKenna's wedding," Charlie commented. It was the reason we are able to visit now, because McKenna wanted to get married in the church she'd grown up by and also to have her family there. Niall's family had no problems spending a few days here and the wedding was a complete success. The newly weds are off now on their honeymoon in Costa Rica.

"Seems like just yesterday it was us tying the knot," I nudged her with a grin. Charlie mirrored my expression as the memory surfaced. 

"Zayn's new girl seemed nice."

"Yeah, she did," I agreed. All the lads had attended the wedding and we are still best mates but it's incredible how much our lives had changed over the years. Liam has been with his girlfriend for 2 years now. It was a very big, hard step for him after Claire to start dating again but once he took it, Liam couldn't be happier. Louis is very successful now in the oil industry but hasn't settled down yet. He says he's content being 'Uncle Lou' for now. 

When we reached the car, I took Penny and strapped her into her car seat in the back while Charlie climbed into the passenger seat. I kissed her smooth forehead and Penny yawned, rubbing her face with her small hands and closing her eyes. I got in the drivers with a proud smile and pulled out of the graveyard, down the familiar highway leading to the airport. 

I released the wheel with one hand and took Charlie's, weaving our fingers together on the center console. The cool metal of the ring on her finger felt smooth against my skin.

"What are you smiling about?" Charlie questioned, amused, as she noticing the upward curve of my lips.

I squeezed her hand reassuringly and glanced over at her, "Just happy is all."

Charlie nodded, "I'm happy too."

"Good."

"Hey Harry?" Charlie said, her voice a little drowsy. 

"Yeah baby?"

"I love you," She spoke my three favourite words to hear from her. 

"I love you too," I replied, "Now let's go home."

-The End-

Holy crap. I'm like literally speechless right now. I never imagined this book would ever get this far and I have all of you to thank for it. Seriously, none of this would be possible without you guys ily all soooo much xx I can't say it enough - thank you! 

I really hope the end did the book justice and tied up all the lose ends. If there is something I missed, leave it in the comments and I'll make sure to answer and even add it to the chapter if it's important enough if I can. But I think I got mostly everything? I hope I did aha

HAPPY ENDING, YAAAAY lol I love these characters too much not to it to them

I think I will be writing another book. I'll update here to let you guys know if/when the new book is up and running. Would you guys read it if I did do another? I will put a little snippet on the update if you want. Let me know

Again, thank you thank you thank you for taking this book to where it is. I loved writing it and I hope you loved reading it :) 

For the last time on this book (cries) - please fan, vote, and comment! xx Your support means the world to me!