Chapter 15

I sat in the egg chair, early in the morning. I idly bounced around in the chair nervously, deep in thought.  

We had been here three, close to four, weeks already and Liam, Harry, and myself had been hurt. Well physically hurt; watching your friends go through this is horrible. Plus there's the stress of being here and whether or not you were next.  

I knew I was scared out of my wits! I had never been under this much pressure, in this much pain, or this fearful ever in my life. Just the suspense of it all was enough to drive a person mad.  

Without even realizing it, I chewed my lip and fidgeted. It was a nervous habit of mine. 

There was a lump in my throat that I couldn't swallow and my stomach twisted in nots. My head pounded against my skull, in time with my heartbeat. Every pound brought a new and intense wave of pain.  

I wish I could have slept more but the nagging fear wouldn't let my mind rest. I'm surprised the others didn't find it difficult to sleep. But it's a break from the world and I would sleep in a heartbeat.  

My thoughts, against my protests, drifted to home. Evan would be up and exercising. He said he enjoyed it most in the mornings because he was half asleep anyways and it would make the time go by faster. I laughed at his odd reasoning but didn't question it.  

My mom would be up and getting ready for work; a part time assistant. My dad would have already left; he was an engineer. Morgan would either be up studying or in bed before her classes.  

But I doubted they were on a usual schedule. My disappearance had probably thrown their life into chaos. My mother would struggle to sleep, most likely crying with Dad, and Dad would sit on the front deck, waiting and praying I would come home. Morgan would come home to watch their life, our life, crumble and deteriorate. She would try; clean, cook, and support them but I doubt anything would help by now.  

It was almost a month and by now most people would stop searching for me and start looking for a body.  

My body.  

I had no more tears to cry over my family's pain, my friends suffering, or my inevitable death. I was sure I was going to die here. It was just a matter of when and how.  

I heard quiet cries and I touched my face to see if it was wet. I sometimes caught myself crying without even knowing it. But this time, it wasn't me.  

I got up stiffly and followed the sound to McKenna's room.  

"Shhh" I heard Niall murmur. He sounded exhausted.  

"Your okay. I'm right here" he comforted.  

"Oh Niall, it was so horrible! You were bleeding and there was nothing I could do to stop it" she sobbed.  

"It was just a nightmare. I'm fine" I heard a little rustling "go back to sleep.  

Niall began to sing a song I didn't recognize but I didn't care. His voice was indescribable. Using amazing or incredible to describe it would be insulting.  

I stood in the hallway, mesmerized by his silky smooth voice. He finished after I assumed McKenna was asleep and I wanted to hear more. A few minutes later, I heard Niall's soft snores as well.  

I felt a little guilty listening into their conversation but who could blame me? 

I went into the kitchen and began cleaning, although it was spotless. I just needed some form of distraction.  

I worked my way carefully and quietly all through the house, cleaning, until people started to wake up.  

Zayn shuffled into the kitchen, rubbing his eyes and yawning.