Chapter 33

Chapter 33 

Harry caught sight of what was happening and stopped in his tracks. His mouth gaped open as he struggled to find his voice while looking between me and Evan. The shock retreated and was replaced with a look I never wanted to see again. 

"How could you?" Harry's voice was strained. I could see his balled up fists shaking at his sides. I had never seen Harry look so hurt, so angry. He turned from us quickly and stalked out, his fingers raking through his hair roughly. 

  "Was that him?" Evan asked.  

"Yeah" I nodded. Harry had come in at the worst possible moment.  

"So what do you say, Charlie? Ready to set things right?" Evan offered, unfazed by Harry's anger.  

"Evan, I can't do this" I finally found my voice "No matter what we do, things can't and won't go back to how they were. I'm sorry but we are not getting back together. I think cheating on each other says something about the relationship. We just...don't work anymore" 

"Please Charlotte, I know we can work we just need to put work into it. It can work if you want it to" Evan pleaded. 

"That's the thing Evan," I swallowed hard before delivering the final, deadly blow that would kill this relationship, "I don't want it to work"

He took a shaky breath and processed what I said before speaking in a surprisingly calm voice, "I understand your choice but I want you to know that I won't give up on us. I will always love you Charlotte and I know we will be together again someday" And with that he got up, kissed my cheek, and left the room.  

I put my face in my hands and gritted my teeth, trying not to cry again. I needed to go talk to Harry. I needed to explain that the kiss didn't mean anything. Evan had taken me by surprise. Oh god, what if he doesn't listen? What is Harry leaves me? 

"Are you alright, miss?" The guard by my door asked. 

I nodded, surprised, "I guess you saw what happened?" 

"Yeah, I did" 

I sighed and blurted out ,"What would you do?" 

"Talk to him. He will understand" The guard said, not fazed by my sudden question. I didn't even know why I asked in the first place. I guess it was the badge, it made me trust him.  

"Thanks officer..." I glanced at his name tag, "Dubois" 

He gave me a coy smile "Any time, miss" 

I went down the hall to Harry's room. The door was closed, that was a bad sign. The guard in front of Harry's room sized me up before looking back to the wall.  

I knocked on the door before opening it slowly. Harry was perched on his bed, focused on his thoughts. I could still see the strain, pain, and anger on his face. 

"Harry" I spoke and he didn't look at me, "You need to let me explain. Please" 

He pressed his lips in a tight line and tugged his hair back again, "How could you do that?"

"I didn't know Evan would be here. I guess I should have expected it but...I had other things on my mind. I told him about us straight away and he told me he had cheated on me also a while back so I figured it was just over but he said he still wanted to be with me" I told him. I inched further into the room and closer to Harry.

"So is this the end then?" He replied through gritted teeth, hurt plain on his face "Are you breaking up with me?" 

"No!" I got closer and took his hand "I told him that I wouldn't go back to him. That I was with you now"