Basic Flirting - Day One

A/N: What's this?? An update? That's right my people. Not only am I updating this because I have writer's block for Daft but I have begun the journey that will be writing this lovely story.

I am absolutely sorry if this tiggers anything because there is talk of abuse and suicide in this chapter :S

"You know what today is?" Luke asks over the phone as Ashton shovelled large amounts of cereal in his mouth.

"Um no, am I supposed to?" Ashton asks while setting his empty bowl and spoon down in the sink. He heads upstairs to get changed with the phone still pressed against his ear.

"One sec, I'll put you on speaker." He adds before Luke gets a chance to say something.

"Today is the beginning of our plan." Luke cheers fill Ashton's otherwise quiet room as the curly haired boy pulls a shirt over his head.

"Technically its your plan, not ours." Ashton corrects, picking up his phone and walking into the bathroom to brush his teeth.

"This week we're just focusing on hinting to everyone else that we could possibly like each other, compliments, cute jokes, lots of laughing, shared glances, you know." Luke continues, ignoring Ashton's small coment completely. The older boy tunes Luke out as he combs through his hair with one of his hands.

He knows how to flirt, just because Luke's had more experience with girls and dating doesn't mean Ashton has no idea what he's doing. Besides, he is the older of the two.

>< >< >< ><

The weathered yellow school bus rattles to a stop in front of Ashton, doors squeaking open to reveal the stick thin bus driver. He got on, hearing the doors squeak closed behind him and headed for his usual seat, second from the back on the right side. Exactly the same seat as the tall lanky blonde he calls a friend.

The same lanky blonde who's forcing him into a relationship that he doesn't want. Well he does, just not in that way.

"Good morning, you're looking good today." His friend greets as Ashton sits down.

Which was funny because he got almost the exact same greeting earlier on the phone but instead of a compliment it went somewhere along the line of 'good morning, my curly haired freak of something that could be described as a friend, yo probably look terrible right now but that'll be changed in a few minutes right?'

And you could say that's what sparked Ashton's bad mood, Luke's on coming storm of compliments wasn't exactly helping either because Ashton could see right through them. But Ashton played along, dishing out a few compliments of his own to make Luke happy.

"Is that a new shirt? Its nice." Luke asks, idly looking through the bus's grimy window at the trees and houses whipping by in a tornado of dark greens and pale yellow.

"Um, no."Ashton mumbles, glancing down at his shirt. How could look not remember it? Its Ashton's favourite shirt and Luke did buy it for him after all. His black Ramones shirt wasn't exactly forgettable, seeing as Luke listens to the same bands as Ashton.

"You should wear it more often." Luke suggests, standing up and grabbing his bag when the school comes into view.

"Okay." The shorter boy's mood drops a little at Luke's lack of attention towards him because he makes sure to wear the Ramones shirt at least once a week.

It turns out they're not as close as he had orginally thought.

"See you at lunch." Luke yells over his shoulder, heading off in the direction of the crowd no one ever wants to mix with. They greet him with yells and hugs before resuming what they were previously chatting about. Luke pulls out a lighter and bums a cigarette off of one of his mates.

Luke's recent actions make Ashton question their friendship a little. Usually Luke convinces Ashton to hang out outside with him while he finishes his smoke and then they head to Ashton's locker and hang out there until the bell.

"Wow, I thought you faggots were closer than that. He just blew you off like dust against the wind." Jared's chilling voice makes the already cool breeze icy cold.

"Fuck off Jared." Ashton snaps, turning toward the school but only making it a few steps before Jared makes a snide remark.

"Is that your first swear word? How cute, what would your mother say?" He tutts, knowing full well that Mrs. Irwin was a sore topic.

"Listen here, Lizard Breath." Ashton seethes, shoving Jared into the closest wall. "Say something else about my mum, I dare you. I'm not in the mood for your shit today."

"Why? Did your faggot boyfriend hit you this morning for not making an effort to look good?" Jared sneers, crooked grin all too prominent against his olive skin.

"That's it!" Ashton shouts, pulling his arm back and readying himself to finally hit this sad excuse of a human. 

But he pauses, he pauses because that would make him like his dad. Not exactly like his dad, but close. That's the thing about Ashton, he's not able to kill spiders. He feels bad when he steps on a flower.

Jared cackles when Ashton lowers his fist, followed by a disappointed boo from the gathered crowd of students that were itching for a fight to break out.

"A fucking coward like your mother I see." Jared laughs.

 "You know what Raymond? You are seriously starting to get on my nerves." Luke seethes, coming out of no where and pinning Jared against the wall.

"There's the man I've been looking for!" Jared's eyes light up despite having a forearm pressed against his jugular.

"Can it Weasel." Luke snaps.

"What's going on her boys?" A shrill voice speaks up, causing the crowd to split in two to allow the vice principal in.

"Well frick." Luke mutters under his breath, removing his arm from Jared's neck.

"Nice to see you've been making friends Hemmings." She jokes.

"Why not make friends on the way to the office?" She asks before pointing a finger at Ashton. "You too, Irwin. You go to the nurse." She waves Jared off dismissively.

A/N: I probably won't be updating that often so bare with me on this.