Midnight

The first intelligible thing Michael uttered upon waking up from his alcohol induced coma, after realizing him and his best friends were all in a car together was road trip. Although neither Luke or Ashton quite agreed with the statement, both of them were too tired to complain.

The lingering odour of alcohol, vomit and cough drops added to the overall feeling of tiredness didn't exactly spell out the tradition of going cross country with your mates. Ashton kind of wanted to pull over and just walk home if it meant fresh air and not being forced into conversation.

"That sounds like a great idea." Luke said without skipping a beat, turning from sobering up boy who lost his lighter and was fretting about kissing some guy Ashton didn't know into the sparkling and adventurous Luke that everyone seemed to recognize. Although Calum had suddenly been awarded a runny nose and sore throat even he visibly brightened at Luke's change in mood.

Ashton didn't bother to speak up, as long as the boys were willing to face his mother's wrath when they got home he didn't have that many complaints. It's not like the four of them could go far with pocket change and a half empty tank of gas.

"Let's do a quick inventory," Luke suggested, unbuckling his seatbelt so he could see the backseat better. The three of them proceeded to check their pockets and the glove compartment for anything of importance.

"Ashton," Luke grinned nudging him with his elbow, "Empty your pockets."

He didn't know where this sudden annoyed attitude came from but he really just wanted some sleep. "Nah."

"C'mon, Michael thinks we might have enough for Macca's and gas." Luke whispered, leaning across the compartment that separated the two of them. His eyelids lowered as he advanced and Ashton had a hard time focusing on the road. "Or y'know, I could empty them for you."

He got closer easily, close enough that Ashton could feel the blond's breath crawl under the collar of his shirt, he could see a striking blue eye in his peripheral vision and could hardly keep the car going a steady pace. Luke wouldn't possibly, not with Michael and Calum around. Luke didn't play around like that so why was he so nervous? Luke was simply offering to empty his pockets so his best friend could keep his focus on the road, it had to be a nice gesture.