Dinner With The Shmucks

A/N: Someone commented on Windows, so I was rereading a bit of that part and I really want to write something that pretty again... Maybe next time.

If one were to fast forward a week or two, you'd find Luke sitting uncomfortably at a table with Owen and Rory.

Here Luke was thinking that just Owen alone was like Dinner With The Shmucks, now that he's seated across from a closeted gay poster boy and diagonal to a slightly homophobic father that really didn't need to have two beers during dinner. Ashton's mum had threw out some excuse last minute about work and Ashton happened to be in the washroom at the moment. Luke was secretly cursing the tan boy's small bladder.

Rory smiled at him as soon as Luke bothered to look up from his plate of lasagna, Luke was already so completely done with the food and the people and, as he checked the clock over Owen's shoulder, he'd been here about three minutes. He arrived late on purpose so that he'd only be there for the dinner so he could avoid the small talk that happened before, no doubt that Owen had already consumed some beer before Luke arrived.

Meekle: come hang out lucas

Luke (Fuck)boy: I'm having dinner with the guy. SOS.

Meekle: the guy? you're having dinner with ash? you dog

Luke (Fuck)boy: No and yes, Ash is here but I'm talking about Rory.

As if sensing that he was being talked about Rory looked up to catch Luke nonchalantly texting on his phone, although he smiled when he admitted that phones weren't allowed at the table, Luke could tell that the smile didn't hold much warmth. It didn't help when Luke's phone continued to light up with unread texts that probably spelled out Michael's surprise.

Rather than checking the onslaught of messages, Luke placed his phone face down on the table and gave Rory a pointed look that he hoped would read something along the lines of, you got what you wanted, but at what cost?

Luke heard a toilet flush and he thanked Ashton's timing. The boy eventually sat down across the table from Owen, immediately raising an eyebrow at the constant vibrations coming from Luke's phone that shook the table slightly and rattled the cutlery. Luke gave a shrug, inclining his head slightly toward Rory.

Ashton placed his phone on the table too, although Michael couldn't be texting them both continuously, his still gave out the occasional buzz. Even though Ashton had quite a bit of friends it was likely that the texts came from his mother.

Clearing his throat, Owen decided it was best to remove the noisy device so that they could all chat for a while, after all what was the point in sitting at the table if they weren't going to fill the silence.

Owen's first mistake was bothering to glance at the screen, which shifted constantly with new messages. Even just looking at the screen for a few seconds he was surprised by what he read.

Meekle: fuck me

Meekle: fuck me

Meekle: f uck m e

Cheerio: help me with my math dude

Meekle: fuckity fuck fuck fuck me up the ass

Meekle: literally

Meekle: f u c k  m e

[Meekle] sent an attachment.

Meekle: fuCK Me

Owen's second mistake was looking up to gauge Luke's reaction to him looking at Luke's phone without permission. What he really saw was Luke not paying any attention to the man holding his phone, he saw the blond whispering into Ashton's ear.