Table Talk

A/N: The last chapter was actually part 30 by the way, I just wanted to mention that because I named it Twenty One and it's not actually twenty one...

Luke had never been invited to dinner with Ashton's family, definitely not by Ashton's mother. Sure, she didn't mind having him over but Luke wasn't Ann's favourite person in the world.

He was fretting a half hour before he was scheduled to knock on the door. He'd gotten out of the shower and had been standing in front of his closet for at least ten minutes. He had no idea what to wear.

It's not like he spent hours trying on outfits, it's just that he wanted to look fine enough that even Overdramatic Owen would take another look. He hadn't met the guy yet, but homophobic people tended to be slightly over the top when wording their opinions. You don't like man on man, got it, keep it to yourself.

He chose a simple outfit, black skinnies with a black tank top that spelt out YOU COMPLETE MEss in large white lettering. He topped it off with a simple dark denim jacket that he'd decorated with a few small pins. He went all out on his hair though, no use hiding it under a toque today. He probably spent the most time trying to make his hair stay up but this was essential in the ensemble he'd thought up. When he'd finally sprayed himself with a small amount of cologne it was just about time for him to leave.

The hardest part about getting to Ashton's house was actually the trip, he didn't have a ride there so he would have to break out his longboard from the garage.

The trip was slightly chilly, and rather dark but Luke didn't mind, the fact that he barely had to move his legs allowed him time to have a smoke and think.

He had a hard time exhaling the toxic gas after its circulation in his lungs because of his speed but that didn't stop him from smoking until the white of the cigarette was mostly gone. He knelt down and swiped the smouldering end against the asphalt as he whizzed by. He left a blackened trail of ash in his wake until the road threatened to scrape up the tips of his fingers if he held on any longer.

Luke let the sole of his shoe drag him to a stop before his board had the chance to kick up against the curb, he dropped the board in Ashton's porch on the way to the front door.

Luke finally worked up the courage to know on the familiar oak door and hoped to hell that Ashton's mom wouldn't be able to smell the smoke that clung to his clothes.

She knew he smoked, it was too hard to hide when he was over so often. She'd already lectured Luke on the long term effects of smoking but it obviously didn't stop him and she obviously didn't like him to begin with.

Surprisingly, Ashton's mom wasn't the one to greet him, a tall stalky man with curly brown hair and hazel eyes greeted him with narrowed eyes.

He was maybe an inch or two shorter than Luke which he didn't seem to enjoy, he stood up straighter before addressing him, "Odd, Ashton didn't mention that he was going somewhere..."

Luke smiled, finally standing up to his full height and he was way taller than Owen. "I'm actually here for dinner."

Owen quickly apologized but you could tell he was looking at Luke more thoroughly. He allowed Luke access to the house after a quick introduction. Apparently Luke had gotten the A-OK, which he read off as couldn't possibly be gay in his mind. That was probably the only thing stopping Owen from letting him in. Imagine if he'd worn pink.

"Luke you're here!" Ashton greeted, pulling Luke into a tight hug and resting his head in the crook of Luke's neck. But Owen paused beside them and Ashton let out a manly cough and shoved Luke away with a smile. "Good to see you."