Checkered Markets

A/N: This is dedicated to lashtonbros bc it's her birthday today. HAPPY BURBDAY FOND! :^)

The title has absolutely nothing to do with the content, don't ask.

Gannon ended up following the two boys to lunch, making it blatantly obvious that he had nothing better to do and even if he did, he would still be hanging out with them. Luke wasn't every happy with Gannon's attention being on Ashton most of the time, Ashton happened to be even less impressed with Gannon's behaviour.

"I played a bit of baseball back in Boston." Gannon said conversationally, glancing at Luke as he talked even though the statement was directed to Ashton.

It was like Gannon was trying to compete, with what? Luke had no idea, but at the same time he wasn't one to lose.

"Really? I'm not a big fan of baseball." Ashton muttered, giving the other boy the least amount of attention he could muster without coming off as down right rude. Gannon was attractive to say the least, but he lacked something that Ashton wanted. Something that Ashton couldn't put his finger on but knew the boy was missing.

That, and Ashton didn't like how unbelievably cocky the lad was. Gannon acted like he personally put the moon in the sky every night, he thought he should be praised for walking on earth. Ashton had news for Gannon, he wasn't the only one.

Luke mentally tallied that up as a win, and Gannon seemed a little irritated by Ashton's reply and by the look he sent Luke, he knew too.

"Did you see the game last night, Ash?" Luke asked, giving Ashton his full attention because everyone liked having someone's full attention when their talking.

A smile made its way to Ashton's face, the boy practically bounced with excitement at the mention of football. "Yeah I did! Liverpool was brutal."

"I had to work halfway through and forgot to find out the score." Luke lied, he knew the score, his work broadcasted the game. I guess you could say it was a perk of working at a pub, the only thing the blonde couldn't do was drink or serve alcohol because he was still underage.

"Liverpool won six to one." Ashton practically announced, happy to provide Luke with football related information even though he didn't like the sport that much. He kept up to date so he would always have something to talk about if things got awkward between them.

"My boys!" Michael yelled, throwing his hands up in greeting as he spotted the two of them. Michael, Calum and Charlie all sat at a picnic table outside. It looked like things would really be a tight squeeze, all boys were quite tall and it looked like the table was constructed for middle schoolers.

"Who's this?" Charlie asked, gesturing to Boston Boy with a little less confidence than the rest of the boys.

"I'm Gannon, you must be Luke's boyfriend." The brown haired boy introduced himself curtly, sitting next to Charlie.

"Oh, I'm straight." Charlie mumbled in embarrassment, even though technically there wasn't anything to be embarrassed. Luke kind of expected him to be offended that Gannon thought that they of all people would be together. Luke thought Charlie at least deserves someone with a little more class than himself.

Because each bench was limited to three people on each side, Luke had to either suffer through sitting next to Gannon or try not to hop the table when he made an advance toward Ashton. He eventually came to the conclusion that strangling the boy would be a lot more fun than sitting next to him.

He sat next to Michael and in front of Ashton.

"He seems like a tool." Michael hissed into his ear, eyes darting to Gannon who was too preoccupied by trying to have a decent conversation with Ashton that he didn't even notice the interaction.