Chp. 40

***MEGAN'S POV***

As I checked my watch I felt a sense of relief knowing that I would be able to dismiss myself from my evening Thanksgiving celebration with my father's side. It had been a very long day and I knew that it would take me about an hour to get home, and if I left now I would get back to Shawn's around 7:30 and be able to get some things done before moving out tomorrow.

I made my way to the bathroom, fixing my hair and wondering if Sam had decided to go to her family gathering or not. I was curious mostly because I knew she had considered it, and if I was lucky maybe she had decided to go and had gotten something good out of it.

Or so I hoped.

I felt a little guilty giving her advice, mostly because the advice with Emma had obviously been a misfire, and I felt her parents were actually considered a lot more serious.

I was just praying for the best.

I had wanted to text Shawn and ask but it seemed too weird, simply because I knew he thought Sam and I had a very distant, teacher-student relationship.

And it was anything but.

Thinking of Sam brought back the fuzzy memories of Wednesday night and how the last thing I remembered was being introduced to the birthday slut, Meagan.

Oh stop being so childish Megan.

I rolled my eyes at the memory, remembering how the raven-haired girl had decided to be snood and roll her eyes upon meeting me. I know she obviously didn't have a good first impression, but that had been out of my control.

She should've picked a better candidate to go home with that night.

It scared me knowing I couldn't remember much past that moment, I remembered telling Naomi she could go home and that I would catch a ride with Sam. I didn't know why I had agreed to that, and everything else was an absolute blur. I didn't remember anything about getting home or even walking to Sam's car.

I hadn't planned to get that wasted, but it happened, and I was extremely worried about learning the truth.

And if I had done anything stupid.

I had woken up fully dressed on the couch this morning, and I was grateful I had set my alarm early so I had woken up on time and before everyone else. And the headache I had from last night was still throbbing on, so I was pretty ready to go home and sleep it off after getting the rest of my things together.

I exited the bathroom and suddenly felt my phone ringing in my back pocket. I pulled it out, seeing Shawn's name flash across the screen. I slid it open, answering, "Hey Shawn, I was just about to leave-"

"Sam wrecked her car, Megan. We're at the hospital."

I felt something in my chest that frightened me, and the adrenaline pumped profusely throughout my body as I came to realization of what he had said. I answered quickly, not even giving my time to think, "I'll be there in thirty."

I bolted downstairs, grabbing my purse off of the hook and immediately finding my dad. The hospital wasn't far from where my I was considering it was off of the highway, and the more I thought about Sam in the hospital the more anxious I became.

Why had she been on the road in the first place?

I found my dad and spoke quickly, "Dad I have to go, one of my friends..." I realized what I had said and continued, "Uh, she's in the hospital."