Chp. 29

I woke up feeling weird and happy at the same time. I realized I was happy because I had dreamt about Megan and I, and how we had kissed and it had felt amazing. I turned over, and I realized suddenly…

It hadn’t been a dream.

I sat up, realizing I had actually kissed Megan last night, and not just once, but multiple times. I felt the familiar aching in my chest as to why I had done that, but not regretting it at all. I felt guilty, obviously because of Emma, but for some reason I was worried more about Megan and how she was doing.

Then I remembered Shawn was coming home today.

I felt everything inside me crumble, like I was going to completely fall apart at the thought of dealing with Megan and Shawn today. Why did I kiss Megan? What had possessed me to do that?

Alcohol and low inhibitions.

I palmed my forehead, realizing dealing with this was going to be really messy and painful, but I had to do it. I had to apologize or something… even though I didn’t really regret anything. It had been quite perfect actually, the way I remembered it.

I pulled myself out of bed even though it was the last thing I wanted to do. I didn’t even want to walk outside my room, but Shawn’s plane was about to land and I was picking him up.

I honestly had no choice.

I walked to the bathroom, looking at myself in the mirror and touching my lips, reliving the moment of a moment that should have never happened.

But God it had been so perfect.

I felt something in my chest, something I wasn’t familiar with but liked at the same time. It was something I hadn’t felt before with anyone, and it made me want to see Megan. I felt the need to see her and hear her voice, and touch her and make sure she was okay.

I was just scared to actually face her.

I pulled on my usual jeans and leather jacket, grabbing my keys and taking in a deep breath as I stared at my door.

I mumbled, “C’mon Sam, it might not be that bad.”

I closed my eyes, feeling anxiety and anxiousness build up in my chest as I turned my doorknob, letting myself out.

She was sitting there at the counter waiting patiently, as if there was nothing going on. I watched her silently, walking through the kitchen nervously as I rounded the counter.

She spoke, “We need to leave if we want to be there when Shawn lands.”

I nodded, almost flinching as she spoke, “Yea.”

I followed her as we climbed into my car, and I quickly turned on the radio to drown out the silence. I heard the familiar sound of ACDC come through the speakers as I hit the road, feeling the tension threaten to strangle.