Chapter Thirty-Three: Love Hurts

Taking a few steps back I open and close my mouth like a fish with his words running through my head. Looking him in the eye I try and figure out whether he is bullshitting me or if he actually means it, taking a deep breath I reply.

“I’m sorry, can you repeat that?” Looking at him with wide eyes.

“You heard correctly.” He looks at me uncertainty and worry evident in his face.

“Gabriel you barely know me, we aren’t even dating and I’ve been in this country for less than two months.” I breathe out.

“I don’t fucking care Ava, you’re the girl that has enough balls to put me in my place, you don’t tolerate my shit and you don’t throw yourself onto me like the others.” He explains walking closer to me.

“Gabriel!” I say harshly and frustrated karate chopping the air to show my confused feelings.

“Just don’t push me away, even if you don’t feel it yet just let me show you that I am a decent guy that you can love.” He pleads grabbing my arms gently and pulling me towards him.

“Gabriel, I don’t…” I can’t bring myself to finish the sentence as he looks at me with desperation.

“Ava.” He whispers my name leaning down to brush his lips over mine taking my breath away once again.

Trailing my hands up his arms I wrap them around his neck pulling us together as I search his eyes for an answer to give him. Opening my mouth to finish my sentence I’m cut off when the sound of the doorbell echoes through the house.

“We aren’t finished with this conversation.” He states, finality clear in his tone as he walks out of the kitchen.

“Oh shit.” I whisper to myself following after him.

“…Ava Ramirez?” I manage to catch the end of the question as I see to cops standing in the doorway.

“Uh yes?” I answer warily moving closer towards the door.

“Miss Ramirez you are under arrest for the crime of grand theft auto. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. You have the right to have an attorney present during questioning. If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be appointed for you.” Looking between the two officers in confusion, I remember the fact that I had stolen a car to get to the motel.

Groaning I take a few steps towards them as they arrest me while Gabriel stands aside, his jaw clenched and eyes towards the floor. Sighing I reluctantly follow the officers towards the car, slightly smiling at the fact that I managed to be in a cop car hours before un-cuffed.  What luck.

The drive to the station is silent as I uncomfortably sit in the back of the car, frowning I wonder if Gabriel is tailing us or stayed back at the house to wait for his parents. The car makes a sharp turn causing me to fall off the back seat, grumbling I struggle to get back onto the seat but give up when I see the police station sign come into view.

“Here we are Miss Ramirez.” The officer speaks as he opens the back door looking down at me in confusion.

“Yeah you need to work on your driving.” I comment as he helps me out of the car.

“I’ll keep that in mind.” He laughs walking me into the station.

We walk through the station in silence briefly stopping at a desk so he can pick up a file before we continue down the hall towards one of the rooms. Time for interrogation I think as he opens the door, slightly pushing me into the room where two other people sit.