Chapter Twenty: Beauty and the Beast (Edited)

A loud knock on my door sends me jumping from the bed in shock, groaning as I look at the time on my phone I make a sound indicating that I’m somewhat awake. Hearing the heavy footsteps walk away from my door, I collapse back onto the bed, groggily rubbing my eyes and stretching.

Yawning, I decide to get dressed, picking out my long cargo pants and paring it with a black and grey tank top with a picture of Kate Moss on the front. Changing into the clothes, I put on my socks before pulling on my timberlands and make my way towards the kitchen.

As I walk into the kitchen I see a plate filled with scrambled eggs and another plate with bacon sitting in the middle of the table. Taking an empty plate, I pile on the eggs and bacon before finding a seat next to Dominic.

Smiling hello to Gabriel’s mom I see that there are three empty seats where my dad, Mr O’Connell and Gabriel should be. More food for me! Shrugging I continue to eat and watch the T.V. with Mrs O’Connell and Dominic.

Half an hour later as Dominic and I are sitting on the couch joking and watching T.V. my dad, Mr O’Connell and Gabriel come strolling into the house looking like they are ready to go hunting.

“Good morning all!” Mr O’Connell says smiling and giving his wife a peck on the cheek.

“Are we all ready to start this glorious day?” He asks while clapping his hands excitedly.

Turning my head towards Dominic I can’t help snicker at the blush of embarrassment that has crawled onto his cheeks. Hearing my laugh he looks over to me and chucks a pillow at my face causing my snicker to turn into a laugh.

“Come on you two.” Mrs O’Connell says as she gathers her bags and walks towards the front door.

Following Dominic out, I pat my pockets making sure that my phone is on me before closing the door and making my way down the stairs, towards the group. Our parents walk slightly ahead of us and I make sure that Dominic is walking in the middle of Gabriel and I.

“How far away is the lake?” I ask, looking into the forest.

“About a ten minute walk.” Dominic replies kicking the small rocks we walk past.

“Is that a problem angel?” Gabriel asks in a baby voice.

Grunting in response I don’t look at him, instead moving my eyes towards the ground making sure I don’t trip on anything as we walk down the steep dirt hill.

“You know any girl would kill to be in this position.” I can practically hear the smirk as he speaks to me.

“Yeah, well I would kill not to be in this position” I spit back making Dominic laugh beside me.

“Aren’t we feisty this morning!” He speaks manoeuvring himself so that he is in front of me walking backwards.

“I really hope you fall and break something.” I say as I watch him gracefully walk over the bumps and holes in the ground unlike myself.

“If that happens I’m taking you down with me.” He says reaching a hand out to me. Rolling my eyes I grab hold of Dominic’s arm and pull him in front of me using his body as a human shield.

“Hey don’t drag me into this!” His protests go ignored by both Gabriel and I.

“Using innocent children to protect yourself Ava, tsk tsk.” Gabriel shakes his head and stops walking causing Dominic to crash into him and me into Dominic.

All three of us groan at the unexpected pile up, pushing off Dominic, I stand up fast followed by Dominic but Gabriel just lies on the ground with his hands extended looking at the both of us. Laughing out loud, I shake head and am about to start walking when his hand shoots out and wraps around my ankle almost causing me to trip.