Chapter Thirty-Two: The Best Of Me

Parking the stolen car by the side of the road, I get out and start walking away crossing the border into a new town. Pulling the hoodie closer to my body, I manage to spot a small the bright lights of a motel that isn’t too far of a walk. Picking up the pace I walk into the lobby pulling out the small amount of cash I managed to grab.

“How can I help you?” The bored woman asks looking me up and down.

“One room for 3 days.” I state giving her the money.

“Your rooms number 65 it’s on the second level, if you make any disruptions I will be forced to call the police. Have a nice stay.” She speaks in a monotone voice looking back to her computer.

Walking out of the reception area I make my way towards the small stair case that leads to the second level. Strolling past the numerous red doors, I finally locate my room unlocking the door only to see the smallest room ever created.

“What the fuck.” I mumble slowly entering the room and closing the door behind me.

Turning the lights on the room is illuminated in a dull yellow, revealing a small single bed that takes up the majority of the room as well as two small arm chairs placed on either end of the bed. Sitting on the end of the bed, I look around for a clock to indicate the time only to come up short.

“With the looks of this room and motel it’s probably die o’clock.” I mumble to myself slowly leaning back onto the hard mattress.

Slightly groaning in disgust I run my hands over my face feeling exhausted for driving so long, not wanting to place my whole body onto the bed, I bring the chair closer and place my feet on top, my body fixed at an awkward position.

Closing my eyes I allow sleep to consume me forgetting all my problems and worries. Waking up the next morning, I’m blinded by both the light from the room and the light from the sun, seeping in through the window.

Closing my eyes briefly I mumble a mess of words to myself before pushing off the bed and fix my clothes reopening the door and staggering down the hallway. Ignoring the stairs from some of the people loitering around the parking area, I take a turn onto the main road hoping to come across a diner.

Yawning, I rub the sleep out of my eyes as I try and wake myself up by picking up the speed as I walk down the deserted road. Frowning to myself I reach a strip of road littered with various cafes, boutiques and other small shops that seem semi busy.

 Making a detour to the nearest café I enter the shop making the bell signal my arrival, walking to an empty booth I slide in picking up the menu and scanning through it haphazardly. Releasing a sigh I watch from the side as a waitress walks towards the table.

“Hi how can I help you today?” She asks smiling down at me.

“Hey can I get the breakfast deal and can you also tell me what time it is?” I ask resting my cheek in my hand.

“Yep, the time is 10:45 and what drink did you want with your meal?” Laughing lightly, I ask for an orange juice watching as she walks away.

Resting my chin on my hands I turn towards the window, watching as people walk past and others window shop across the road. Looking away I place my hands in my lap, slumping down in the booth thinking about how everyone must be reacting.

“Here is your breakfast hon.” The waitress speaks, placing the plate in front of me with a large orange juice.

Smiling in thanks, I start to devour my food stopping every once in a while to take a sip from the juice. When I finish eating the food, I push the plate into the middle of the table sinking back into the booth planning out my next move.