Chapter Twenty-Eight: The Heartbreak Kid (Edited)

“What?” I whisper standing in shock not knowing how to react.

“There was nothing we could do.” He repeats.

There’s a long moment of silence as I wrap my mind around the situation happening before me. Swallowing I turn my gaze to the ground trying to figure out what I was meant to be doing now.

“Thank you doctor, I’ll go with you to fill out the papers.” I hear Mrs O’Connell shakily whisper.

Lifting my head I turn and watch as they start to disappear down the hall alone with my hopes. Frustrated with the way things are going, I don’t bother to wipe away the tears the run down my face, instead I start to pace the hallway tangling my hands into my hair pulling hard until I feel the pain.

“Ava stop.” Gabriel grabs me and pulls me into a hug gently running his hand up and down my back.

Through all the problems that I have faced over time, I realised that time waits for no man and that I have to try and stop myself from drowning because no one is coming to my rescue any time soon. Resting my head against Gabriel’s chest, I don’t bother trying to talk, because too many unwanted answers would be given to the questions floating around my head.

“Ava, honey?” Lifting my head off Gabriel’s chest I turn around to see Mrs O’Connell and the doctor looking at me worriedly.

“Hmm?”

“Did you.. want to see your father?” She hesitantly asks as Gabriel stiffens behind me.

Sniffing, I wipe my eyes as I try and figure out if that’s what I wanted. I need this I think to myself as I lift my head to look at the two worried people standing in front of me. Nodding my head, I feel Gabriel grab my hand as I follow the doctor towards a different room.

We soon stop in front of a closed room door, clearing my throat I remove my hand from Gabriel’s grip before silently walking towards the door. Pushing down on the handle, I slowly walk into the room closing it behind me and leaning against it.

“You aren’t meant to be here.” I whisper as I walk towards him.

“I don’t what I’m doing wrong but I’m obviously doing something wrong if everyone keeps leaving.” Shakily I reach over and place my hand over his cold one.

“I am so sorry.” I whisper as I drop to my knees and placing my head onto the mattress crying.

I stay in that position for what feels like hours before I hear a knock on the door bringing me back to reality. Lifting my head I turn it towards my dad, who looks peaceful something I wish I was, leaning over I place a kiss on his forehead before getting up and walking over to the door.

Opening it up I’m instantly crushed into another body, not bothering to pull away I wrap my arms around their neck as more tears escape.

“Let’s get you home honey.” Mrs O’Connell whispers in my ear as we pull away from each other, both wiping the tears from our eyes.

Following behind her, I’m instantly reminded that Gabriel is present when I feel his hand wrap around mine. Leaning into his side, he wraps his arm around me pulling me closer as we walk silently towards his car.

As soon as we get to Gabriel’s house, I rush towards my room and lock the door ensuring that no one will be able to come to me. I spend the whole night crying and it's certainly evident in my face I think as I prod my puffed eyes as I stand in front of the bathroom mirror.

Sighing I splash some cold water over my face before walking out to grab some clothes to wear to school before walking back into the bathroom to take a quick shower. Looking at myself in the mirror I look slightly better, my eyes are still red indicating that I’ve been crying but the puffiness has disappeared.