Chapter Twenty-Three: The Ugly Truth (Edited)

It has been a week since I’ve moved in with the O’Connell’s and nothing has changed with my dad, every day is the same, I go to school and straight after I spend a few hours at the hospital. I’m lost in my thoughts all day and the only thing I want to do is pause time to get my head around the situation.

But time stops for no one and I learned that a long time ago, I seem to struggle harder with my school work but Maddi and Violet are helpful with everything, trying to keep me on task, make me smile, making me feel as if everything is and might be fine.

Sitting in the small plastic chair across from my dad’s unconscious body, every conversation we have had runs through my head. I know that I should feel guilt or anger or sadness, something instead of just feeling numb, but as I look at him every type of emotion leaves my body.

Leaning forward I rest my elbows on my knees and look around the room, listening to his heart monitor beep. Sighing I rest my face on my hands and look forward towards the wall in front of me.

“I’m here when you’re at your worst, but where were you when I was at my worst?” I repeat the same question that I have asked every time I come here, hoping to receive an answer.

Leaning back against the chair, I pull my phone out of my pocket and see that it has been three hours since Maddi has dropped me off at the hospital. A knock on the door grabs my attention and I watch as the door slowly opens revealing Gabriel standing there.

“Hey, you ready to go?” He asks in a careful tone as if waiting for me to burst into tears.

Biting my lip I look away from him and towards my dad, sighing I push myself up from the seat and walk towards Gabriel’s outstretched arm. He wraps his arm around my shoulder as if trying to protect me as we walk down the hall and towards the car park where Dominic stands against the car.

“What the hell are you doing out of the car?” Gabriel questions as we walk closer to Dom.

“I saw a hot chick and got out to try and take a photo.” He waves his phone around as if it answers everything.

“And what happened?” I ask.

“I forgot to put flash on, so you can’t see her and then I got locked out of the car.” He frowns looking down at his screen.

“How the hell am I related to you?” Gabriel jokes as we get into the car and out of the cold.

The majority of the ride the car is filled with the soft sound of music playing through the speakers and the sound of some game Dom plays at the back. Crossing my leg over the other, I bounce it up and down trying to get think of calming things.

“You alright?” I hear Gabriel ask as we stop at a red light.

“Yeah, fine I just need to pee really bad.” I say looking over to his amused face.  

The colour of the light changes from red to green, illuminating his face allowing me to see his smile before he faces forward and slowly drives. Groaning as I realise he is taking his time getting us home, I turn towards his smug face. Oh you have so not won this!

“Yeah Gabriel, drive slow so I can pee in your car. Genius idea, really.” I say in a sickly sweet voice that has him realising his mistake. Yeah take that!

Speeding the car, we arrive at his house in no time and I’m out of the car and running inside faster than I ever have in my life. Walking out of the bathroom, I follow the smell of food to the kitchen where Gabriel sits on top of the counter eating something.