Chapter Nine: Paranormal Activity (Edited)

When lunch finishes I make my way to Art with Violet after also getting my books for English. I didn’t realise that art would be such a bludge subject, throughout class Violet and I draw silly pictures and make jokes and background stories about people in class.

When the bell rings, signalling class is over I hug Violet goodbye before walking towards English which is conveniently right down the hall. Entering the class I say a quick hi to Mr Shay before making my way towards the empty seat next to Maddi.

As everyone starts to pile into the classroom I start to talk to Maddi not paying attention to any of the people walking into the class. When Mr Shay starts to speak Maddi and I stop talking and turn to face the front.

“Today I want you to work in pairs but before any of you get all excited to work with your BFF.” He stops before looking at everyone making us laugh and continues.  “I am going to be pairing you up.”

When everyone hears him say that I’m pretty sure that every person in the classroom let's out the ‘are you serious’ groan, but Mr Shay doesn’t let that bother him as he starts to read out the pairs that he already created.

“Maddi and Sarah.” He calls out which causes Maddi to hit her head on the desk with force.

“Oh my God Sarah is the biggest ditz.” She whispers which makes me laugh at her.

“Come on Maddi, Sarah is waiting for you.” Mr Shay calls out, which makes me laugh harder and causes Maddi to glare at me as she leaves the desk.

“Next are Ava and Ryker.” Not only did I groan but I’m pretty sure a lot of girls in the class let out a cry of protest which makes me slump further into my chair.

“If you think I am leaving this desk you have another thing coming.”  I yell out to Ryker ignoring the glares and complains of the girls around me.

I wasn’t even sure if Ryker heard me nor was I sure of where he was seated, but after a few minutes the seat next to mine scrapes back which causes me to look to the side to see Ryker sitting where Maddi previously was.

“Well hello there partner.” He speaks in a southern accent.

With the events that have occurred over the last couple of days, to say the Five are my least favourite people is the biggest understatement so far and even though I know that Ryker is a nice person, I'm not in the mood to talk to anyone from that group.

Thank God Mr Shay starts talking about the reason we all have to be in pairs because there isn’t any chance that I am going to return Ryker’s hello.

“Today I want you to go through the list I have given you of wonderful Shakespeare plays. I want you and your partner to choose a play, and then choose a scene from that play and re-write that scene using twenty-first century dialogue and environments.” He pauses briefly before continuing.

“Are there any questions?” There's a brief silence before someone raises their hand to ask a question.

“Mr Shay do we have to perform it in front of the class?”

"No I want you to just email me what you created by next Monday with your name and your partners name. So that is four days just to be clear." The room quickly falls into conversation as everyone tries to figure out what scene to do.

"I think we should do Romeo and Juliet." Ryker decides as he turns to face me.

"I will punch you so hard your mother will feel it in her uterus." I glare at him.

"Oh wow that's not a pretty image. May I ask why?"

"I loathe Romeo and Juliet so it's either Othello or Hamlet." I answer.