Chapter Fifteen: 10 Things I Hate About You (Edited)

The bell had gone twenty minutes ago for class but Maddi and I are still running around the school trying to locate Violet. We've tried calling her phone numerous times but only received voicemail, checking the rooftop and bathrooms and still can't find her.

Groaning, I trail behind Maddi who's walking equally as slow as I am. I'm just about to tell her that we should try looking for Violet after school but we both stop when we hear cursing come from one of the classrooms in the hallway.

Maddi and I stop walking and shoot each other a quick look before rushing over towards the door and pushing it open. We step into the classroom and close the door behind us but stop moving when we see majority of the tables and chairs are scattered across the floor.

"Looks like you've found me." Violet says pulling out the chair behind the teacher’s desk and sitting in it.

"It's a pretty hard job trying to find you." Maddi replies picking up one of the chairs and sitting down.

"You know if you wanted to play a game of hide and seek all you have to do is ask." I chime picking up a desk and sitting on it.

"Yeah sorry 'bout that."

"What even made you that mad?" Maddi questions her.

"Nothing, it was just the way Scarlet was....looking." Violet answers lowering her head.

"It was the way Scarlet was looking?" I repeat slowly making sure I heard her right.

Violet only purses her lips and nods her head in embarrassment. I quickly look over at Maddi and see her trying to supress her smile. Maddi turns her head to face me and when she sees me smiling, we both end up laughing.

"Why are you laughing?" Violet asks, surprised at our reaction.

"You're acting like you killed someone." Maddi answers her after we finish laughing.

"And you're shit at lying ." I add at the end.

"Seriously, you got mad because of the way Scarlet was looking? Yeah try again." Maddi says laughing a bit at the end.

"Do you wanna maybe tell us the real reason you went all psycho?" I ask.

"Okay listen, I'll tell you but if you judge me I will throw a chair at you." Violet says seriously looking between Maddi and I.

Maddi and I nod quickly in response and wait for Violet to continue.

“The reason I went away in the holidays was because my mother got married in Hawaii…” Violet trails off looking at us.

“Your mother got married? Why didn’t you tell me? That’s so good Violet!” Maddi exclaims looking a bit hurt but happy nonetheless.

“The reason I didn’t tell you was because she married Harley’s dad.” I’m pretty sure that both Maddi and I stop breathing when Violet tells us but she doesn’t notice because she's too occupied looking at the desk.

“Yeah so she married Harley’s dad about half way through spring break and then we moved straight in with them as soon as we got back home. Anyway long story short I still have a crush on Harley but it doesn’t matter because one night Harley brought Scarlet home when our parents were out and they were doing it so freaking loud as if they were home alone, so I left the house and stayed at my grandma’s place and I've kinda been living at her house.”

There is a long silence even when the bell rings for last period no one moves or speaks. The rustle and sounds of the hallways behind the closed classroom door is the only sound alerting us that we aren’t alone.