Thirty-nine

When I woke up I was in Uta's arms. I didn't feel guilty, just satisfied. Kaneki had been gone for nearly 6 months and God knows I have needs. Uta was just there. For the past few months he had been a solid rock for me.

I sat up straight, using the blankets to cover myself up. Then I looked at Uta, who was still asleep. I lightly traced his tattoos with my fingers but stopped at a quote written in Greek letters.

I can live neither with you, nor without you.

Then Uta opened his red eyes. I wondered why he always had his kakugan activated.

"Good morning", he mumbled as he gently grabbed my hand, which still lingered by his neck.

"Good morning", I answered with a smile.

Uta briefly kissed my hand before getting up. Then he took a set of clothes out of his closet and put them on. He began to walk to the door but stopped when I spoke.

"Uta-kun."

"Yeah?", he asked as he turned around.

"Why do you always have your kakugan activated?", I asked. "Even when you were a child I never saw you without it."

"No reason", he muttered before starting to walk to the door again.

"Uta, stop", I said.

He slowly turned back to face me.

"I'm serious", I said. "I want to know. There must be a reason."

Uta sighed and sat down on the bed again. He looked me in the eye for a second before averting his gaze.

"I'm blind", he softly muttered and he looked down.

"Blind?", I whispered.

When he looked up his gaze was empty and his eyes were white. He was looking at me, but I could tell he couldn't actually see a thing. Then his kakugan activated again and his eyes immediately focused on mine.

"I was born without my sight", Uta explained. "But when I first activated my kakugan I could see. I haven't deactivated it since."

"I'm sorry I pressured you", I said as I put my hand on the side of his face.

I gently stroked his cheek with my thumb.

"Thank you for telling me", I mumbled. "Your secret's safe with me, if you want me to keep it."

"Thank you", Uta murmured as he covered my hand with his.

He pulled me towards him and kissed me. I kissed him back and moved my hand into his hair. He moaned when I climbed onto his lap, straddling him. I smiled against his lips.

****

After I took a shower I left HySy and went to CCG's HQ. I knew Haise had a schedule. He had to patrol a few wards with his squad, and I'd follow him like I'd done every day for the past few weeks.

Ever since I found out he was stationed at HQ I followed him around. So far he hadn't shown any signs of remembering us, even though I'd talked to him on multiple occasions.

In fact I decided to talk to him today. He would be passing by the square, like the day I met him. After I went to the bookstore I looked over the square, where I saw Haise with his cranky subordinate Urie.

I walked up to them.

"Haise, Urie", I said with a small nod.

"Good afternoon, Eiko", Haise said.

"Okuyama", Urie muttered.

I was about to say something when another person came into view. It was a girl with blood red hair. I slightly narrowed my eyes when she moved a little too close to Haise. I cleared my throat when he put his arm around her waist.