Twenty-five

I was brutally woken by a few sharp knocks on the door. I grunted and just snuggled closer to Kaneki, trying to ignore the noise. But then I heard it again. Kaneki stirred in his sleep. I sighed and opened my eyes. I stared at the door. It was silent. Just when I was about to lay down again the person knocked once more.

"What?", I irritably shouted.

The door flew open to reveal Eto. I grunted and let myself fall back onto the bed.

"What do you want?", I asked as I closed my eyes.

Kaneki made a sleepy sound before he opened his eyes.

"Ayato is gone", Eto said in a worried tone.

I shot up in my bed and looked at her.

"What do you mean, gone?", I asked.

"I can't fine him anywhere, and no one saw him leave", Eto said.

At this point Kaneki was wide awake too.

"We have to find him then", he said.

I nodded and jumped out of bed.

"Do you have any idea where he might be?", I asked as I walked to the bathroom.

"No, but he's been disappearing a lot lately", Eto said as she followed me. "I'm afraid he's gotten himself in trouble."

I frowned as I brushed my teeth. I shooed Eto out of the bathroom and took the shortest shower I'd ever taken in my entire life. Once I dried myself I ran ran back into my room.

Kaneki immediately walked into the bathroom to shower as I made my way to my closet. I opened the doors for some privacy and quickly got dressed. Once I was done Kaneki walked out of the bathroom. I grabbed my hairbrush and fixed my hair as quick as possible. Then the three of us immediately walked out of my room.

We went from base to base to see if we could find Ayato. We were all wearing our disguises since we had no time to be subtle and couldn't risk being recognized. But we couldn't find him. After a few hours we came to the conclusion that he must be somewhere else.

We were standing on the roof of a skyscraper, deciding where to go next, when I thought of something.

"We should go by all the city's thugs. It will be a tough job, considering the huge amount of thugs there are here", I said as I looked at the skyline.

"I agree", Kaneki answered. "We should split up."

I nodded and Eto agreed as well.

"I'll go through ward 1 to 7", I said.

"I'll take 8 to 15", Kaneki mumbled.

"Guess I'll do 16 to 22 then", Eto said.

I nodded and we quickly split up.

I made my way through the wards. I knew where the biggest criminals usually were, so I just went there. All I had to do was show my face and most of them would start to back up. Well, my masked face of course. Most of the ghouls would immediately tell me all they knew about The Black Rabbit, which was Ayato's alias, but it was mostly shitty information.

None of them knew anything, and I was starting to get frustrated. I growled and swung at the ghoul nearest to me, slicing his throat with my nails. I then took a deep breath and jumped to the roof of a building.

I quickly made my way to the 4th ward. To HySy Artmask Studio, to be precise. Not bothering to be polite I stormed in. The customer Uta was helping saw my mask and turned pale. She quickly excused herself and ran out. I followed her with my eyes until Uta started talking.