Thirteen

While we were on our way back to the base Kaneki suddenly stopped walking. I halted a few paces farther  ahead and turned to him.

"What is it?", I asked.

"Eiko...", Kaneki started. "Are you okay?"

I closed the distance between us and put my hand on his arm.

"I'm fine", I softly said. "I just need to wash off all this blood."

"Alright", Kaneki answered. "We'll go back to the base, but after we're both cleaned up I need to talk to you."

I nodded and dropped my hand. Then we continued running to the base.

****

When we reached the base I went straight to my room and into the shower, where I washed off all the blood. I turned the shower off once I was done and stepped out. I wrapped a towel around myself and opened the bathroom door. I made my way to my closet and took out some clothes, which I took with me to the bathroom. I changed into them, feeling better now that I was clean.

Just then I heard a knock on the door.

"Come in", I said as I walked out of the bathroom, brushing my hair.

The door opened and Kaneki walked in, closing the door behind him. He sat down on the chair by my desk and buried his face in his hands.

"Are you alright?", I asked him as I walked over to him and put my hairbrush on the desk.

"What the hell just happened?", he softly said as he looked up at me.

"We did what we had to do", I said as I affectionately brushed my hand through his soft hair.

Kaneki sighed and pulled me close to him. I wrapped my arms around him as he laid his head against my stomach. We stayed like that for a second. Then he abruptly pulled back.

"Thank you, but that's not what I meant", he said.

"Then what is it?", I asked with a small frown.

"What happened to you?", he asked. "One moment you were fine and the next you broke down like you had an asthma attack. And then you screamed something about 'getting out of your head' and activated your rinkaku kagune, which I thought was your only kagune by the way."

I looked down with a sheepish smile.

"Well, the kagune thing is easy to explain", I mumbled. "I forced the surgeon who gave me my organ transplant to give me a second kakuhou."

Kaneki nodded and gestured for me to go on.

"The other thing, well...", I started. "As you know I was tortured by Yamori as well. I didn't really notice any troubles, mentally or physically, after I was released. But I later noticed that if I fight a chaotic and demanding fight for a while, there's only one thought that fills my mind."

I was silent for a second, because I wasn't sure if Kaneki knew what I meant. When he didn't respond I sighed.

"What's 1000-7?", I softly said. "It repeats over and over again until I answer., but I refuse to. I don't want Yamori to have such a grip over me, even after his death. I know the method is to keep his subjects sane, but it only made me crazier."

I was silent and looked down, avoiding Kaneki's gaze. He suddenly got up and stood in front of me. He lifted my face so I'd look at him. He was standing very close and had a small and sweet smile on his face.

"I'm glad you told me", he softly said.

Then he hugged me, resting his chin on the top of my head.