Twenty-one

Kaneki kept kissing me and I happily kissed him back. It started out as a sweet kiss, but it quickly got more passionate as Kaneki pulled me onto his lap so I was straddling him. His tongue briefly moved past my bottom lip, asking for permission. I eagerly granted it and his tongue slipped inside my mouth, exploring every corner of it. I subconsciously moved my hips a bit for some friction.

Then I thought of something and I quickly pulled back. Kaneki dreamily looked up at me, lust clouding his gaze.

"Is something wrong?", he asked with a hoarse voice.

He cleared his throat as I shook my head.

"No", I mumbled. "Hey, didn't the news woman say that the shards from my kakuja disintegrated when anything touched them?"

"I think so, yeah", Kaneki answered with a small frown. "Why?"

"I took one with me the day I killed those first two doves", I said. "It should be in my bag."

I turned to see my bag on the floor. Then I climbed off Kaneki and crawled over the couch until I could grab my bag without actually getting up. I sat back down while searching through it. Then I saw something and glanced at Kaneki.

"What?", he asked.

"I just remembered, the day I was attacked by the doves I was on my way back from the bookstore", I said as I took the four books out of my bag. "I got you two books."

"Really?", Kaneki mumbled as he grabbed one of the books.

Then he turned to me with a smile. He put his arm around my shoulder and kissed me on the top of my head.

"Thank you", he mumbled against my hair.

"No problem", I said as I enjoyed his touch.

Then I pulled my bag onto my lap. I rummaged through it to find the shard until I finally felt it. I grabbed a hold of it and pulled it out of my bag.

"Fuck", I mumbled when it cut my finger.

"You okay?", Kaneki asked.

"I'm fine", I said as I leaned my head against him. "It's just a cut. It should heal quite quickly."

Kaneki carefully grabbed my hand and studied the cut. Then he gave it a little kiss, his tongue slipping out of his mouth to lick the drops of blood away. I chuckled and pulled my hand back when he was done.

Then I studied the glass-like shard. It was sharp, that was for sure. But one thing I didn't understand; why did the other shards disappear?

"Can I see that?", Kaneki asked, pointing at the shard.

"Sure", I said. "I don't know why this one didn't disappear."

I held the shard out for him. He grabbed it, his fingers touching mine. For a second I was afraid it'd disintegrate, but nothing happened. Kaneki then turned it around, looking at the shape and colors.

"It almost looks purple", he mumbled as he turned it around again.

"You saw my kakuja", I shrugged. "I didn't really pay attention to it. Was it the same color as this shard?"

"Sort of", Kaneki answered. "Your kakuja itself is purple, but it's purple from the outside and more red on the inside, just like your rinkaku kagune. This shard looks more like a diamond with a purple-like color would."

I was about to say something when I heard the door open. I turned around to see Uta walking into the living room. He looked at me and Kaneki.

"Hey, not trying to be rude or anything, but how long will you guys be staying?", Uta asked. "I need to know how much flesh I need to get, you understand."