Ten

"Kaneki?", I carefully started, knowing very well that I was about to ruin the moment.

"Yeah?", he mumbled, still not letting me go.

"Why did you join Aogiri?", I asked.

He silently took a step back and looked me in the eye.

"At first I didn't really have a choice" he started to explain. "I became Jason's subordinate to help a group of ghouls."

I knew Jason was Yamori's name from the 13th ward, so I nodded.

"He said he'd let them go if I did, but apparently he kept them prisoner", he continued. "He killed two of them in front of me, and that's when I snapped. I don't know why, but my hair turned white. I beat Jason, but when I was given the chance I joined because I wanted to get stronger."

"I'm sorry you had to go through that", I said. Then I remembered something. "Wait, you're the one who mauled Ayato, aren't you?"

Kaneki smirked at that.

"I am, why?", he said.

"Why did you do that?", I asked, a little offended because he seemed proud of it. "Ayato is like a little brother to me."

"Because he deserved it", Kaneki coldly answered, his smirk gone. "He hurt Touka."

"Oh", I answered. "I'm sorry. I didn't know that."

"That's fine", he shrugged. "Were you there that night?"

I nodded.

"I even ran into Yomo, Uta and Tsuki", I said. "I led them into the hall where you were tortured, but you were gone."

Kaneki let out a small chuckle.

"What?", I asked.

"I can't believe you just called Tsukiyama Tsuki", he said with a smile. "Does he know you call him that?"

"I don't think he even knows I know his real identity, so no", I mumbled. "And he doesn't need to", I quickly added.

"That's my girl", Kaneki said with a smile as he took a step closer and put his finger under my chin to make me look up at him.

I stared into his dark eyes and blushed. He was in a surprisingly touchy mood today. Not that I minded.

He moved closer, and for a second I thought he was gonna kiss me. But he gave me a small kiss on top of my head and then he let go of me again.

I internally slapped myself for being disappointed.

'Get a grip, Eiko', a voice in my head said. 'You're a coldblooded killer with no emotions or remorse. You could never have feelings for a boy.'

That was what everybody always said.

'She's ruthless and insane, she killed thousands of people. She doesn't have feelings.'

I'd heard the words plenty of times. I knew I was ruthless and insane, but did I really not have feelings? I didn't believe that. I did care, I realized.

'I've heard people so it so many times I've started to act like it', I thought to myself.

I might not show it like normal people do, but I cared about Ayato. If he was killed I would get revenge. The person who did it would have to watch their loved ones die and be tortured until they wished they were never born.

That was my way of showing I cared, and as much as I hated to admit it, I would do the same for Kaneki.

"So, did anything bad happen to you that night?", Kaneki then asked. "Or did everything go smoothly?"