Two

I was on my way to Anteiku, pulling down my sleeves and popping up the collar of my jacket. It took a while to walk there, but I was in no rush. I calmly walked the streets, scanning for doves and ghouls. I didn't want anyone to follow me, because I didn't want to cause Anteiku any trouble. Even though I hated their code to help every ghoul who came to them, I had to admit it was a nice and peaceful place.

I heard the little bell ring when I opened the front door and eyed Rize, who was sitting near the wall. I ignored her and sat down at a table near the window. Ayato's sister came to take my order, and I ordered a coffee. As far as she was concerned, I was just a regular ghoul customer. Little did she know I was there on Ayato's behalf to check on her.

Ayato rarely asked me to, but I always did it anyway. I remember him being mad the first time I told him I checked on her. He didn't like it at first, but after that I started going to Anteiku at least two times a week. I always told Ayato how Touka was doing and eventually he began to appreciate it. He never said it in words, but I could see it in his eyes.

"Here you go, Okuyama", Touka said as she handed me my coffee.

"Thank you", I answered.

I looked up when two boys around my age entered the cafe. One with blond hair and the other with black hair. They sat down at the table in front of me. The one with the black hair sat with his back turned to me, so I couldn't see his face after he sat down. The blonde was talking to him and eyeing Ayato's sister. The black-haired one told him to stop being loud and the blonde signaled Touka to order. I quickly lost interest when he bagn talking to her. Then I noticed that the black-haired one was staring in Rize's direction.

'Poor boy', I thought. 'I hope he doesn't like her, because we all know how that turns out.'

I looked back at Ayato's sister, who was clearly uncomfortable as the blond guy kept asking her questions. I smiled and got up before giving Yoshimura the money for my coffee. He accepted and gave me a small nod and a polite smile. I nodded and smiled back and walked out of the cafe.

It was starting to get dark so I quickened my pace. I walked into an alleyway and used my kagune to get onto the roof. Once I reached it I started walking and humming a random melody. I walked until I reached the edge. When I did I jumped to the next building. I strolled through the 20th ward like that, observing the people on the streets from a distance. When I heard a noise and looked up it was completely dark already.

I started running towards the noise, but it sounded quite far away. I used my rinkaku kagune for balance as I ran and jumped from roof to roof. I stopped when I was on top of a building close by a skyscraper next to a construction zone. Then I saw what the noise was. Huge steel bars had fallen down. Then I noticed the black-haired boy from Anteiku sitting on the floor, covered in blood.

'He was with Rize, then', I thought as I examined his injuries from afar.

I was about to jump down and help him when the authorities arrived. I took a step back and deactivated my kagune so I wouldn't be noticed. I watched as the boy was carried into an ambulance. Then I turned around and made my way back to Aogiri as soon as I could.

****

"Eto!", I yelled as soon as I stepped foot inside the building. "I need to see Eto!"

Some random ghoul mumbled she was on the top floor, so I started running up the stairs. I quickly came to the conclusion that I was going way too slow, so I activated my kagune to launch myself up. I grabbed a hold of the rail and launched myself up further. When I had almost reached the top floor I used the stairs like a normal person again. When I reached the top floor I looked for Eto, but I only found Tatara.