Nine

When I woke up I didn't recognize where I was at first. Then I recognized it as the common room on Ayato's and Kaneki's floor, where I was laying on the couch. Then I realized my 'pillow' was slowly rising and falling. I turned my head to see that I'd been laying on Kaneki's stomach. I quickly sat up straight and looked at Kaneki, who was sound asleep. He looked peaceful, not his usual emotionless face, but a sweet and relaxed one.

I blushed when I thought about last night. Kaneki had asked me to come sit with him in the common room. He told me about a book he liked and gave it to me.

"You should read it", he'd said with a genuine smile.

I had nodded and settled on the couch. Once I started reading I realized why Kaneki liked it so much. I was never that into books because they seemed boring, but then I realized the world and author could take you into was amazing.

"This is an amazing book", I'd said before laying down with my head on Kaneki's leg.

"Glad you like it", he smiled as he brushed my hair back.

Apparently I fell asleep like that, because I saw the book on the floor next to the couch. I carefully picked it up and placed it on the table. Then I turned to Kaneki, who opened his eyes.

"Good morning", I smiled.

"Good morning", He answered as he sat up straight and rubbed his eye.

"The book you gave me yesterday", I started. "Do you mind if I keep it until I finish it?"

"Sure", Kaneki smiled. "I wanted you to have it anyway."

"Thank you", I mumbled.

Then I got off the couch and stretched. I walked over to the common room fridge and opened it. I took out a little piece of meat and put it in my mouth.

"You want some?", I asked Kaneki.

"No thanks", he mumbled.

I closed the fridge as I swallowed the meat. Then I walked back over to the couch Kaneki was still sitting on.

"I'm gonna go clean up", I said. "I'll see you later, alright?"

Kaneki nodded and I picked up the book from the table. Then I made my way to my room.

****

"I suppose I really do look like Rei", I mumbled as I inspected myself in the mirror after my shower.

I shrugged and brushed my teeth. Then I walked over to my closet and took out a short black skirt, stockings and a white sweater. I put them on, finishing with a pair of black shoes. Then I walked into the bathroom and rummaged through my drawer. When I found my hairbrush I tried to fix my hair a bit. My long white locks had always been messy, but they looked worse than usual.

Once I was satisfied with my appearance I walked out of my room. I took the elevator down and exited the base, on my way to Anteiku. The cafe's little bell rang when I opened the door.

"Good morning!", I greeted everyone.

Koma was the only one who greeted me back. I wasn't surprised, since the cafe was almost empty. He was the only staff member present.

"Where is Touka?", I asked as I sat down at the bar.

"The university", Koma answered. "Coffee?"

I nodded and he poured me a cup. I blew at it and took a sip, savoring the taste.

"Is Hinami here?", I suddenly asked.

Koma looked up at me, looking slightly surprised.

"She is", he mumbled. "Upstairs."