Thirty-five

I escorted Hinami into the building of the base. I had to nudge her to hold her head up every now and then, but other than that everything went fine. Some ghouls were staring at us, but as soon as I gave them my death stare they looked away.

"We're almost there, Hinami-chan", I said as we took the elevator up.

Hinami took a deep breath before looking up at me. To my surprise she seemed excited, and not scared at all. A little nervous, but happy most of all.

"The only ghouls here are usually Eto and Tatara, unless there's a meeting", I explained. "Once we're alone with Eto you can completely relax. She won't judge you."

"Alright", Hinami mumbled.

Then the elevator doors opened. I walked out and gestured for Hinami to follow me. When I walked into the conference room I didn't see Eto. But I did see someone else.

"Ayato-chan", I said as I ran up to him.

He turned around just in time so I could jump into his arms. I laughed when he struggled not to fall over. Then I let go of him and took a step back. I examined him completely, and then I realized something.

"No, no no no no no", I murmured.

"What?", Ayato asked.

"You're growing too fast", I said as I put my hands on his shoulders. "We used to be the same height! You're way taller now. How long has it been since I saw you? Three months? Stop growing so fast!"

Ayato chuckled at my little rant. I took a deep breath before turning to the door, where Hinami was still standing.

"Ayo-kun, you know Hinami-chan", I said as I gestured towards Hinami. "She's joining the organization."

Ayato's eyes widened as he looked at Hinami approaching.

"Hinami", he said in a surprised tone. "You're joining us?"

Hinami just nodded and looked at her feet. I stood next to her and put my arm around her shoulder.

"I just need to discuss the details with Eto", I said. "I expect you to look after Hinami, since you know what it's like to be new at that age and I won't be around at all times."

"Of course", Ayato mumbled. Then he turned to Hinami. "Welcome to Aogiri Tree, Hinami."

"Thank you", she softly answered with a small smile.

Then Eto walked in. As soon as she saw me she ran up to me and pulled me into a hug.

"Eiko-chan!", she said as she embraced me. "You're back!"

"I am", I said as I took a small step back. "But I'm here for a reason."

I gestured at Hinami, who shyly waved at Eto. Eto waved back before she nodded at me and looked at Ayato.

"Ayato, would you give her a tour of the base?", she asked.

"Uh, sure", he said, glancing in Hinami's direction.

"Is that okay with you, Hinami?", I asked her. "I know we planned for me to give you a tour."

"It's fine", Hinami said. "I'll go with Ayato."

I nodded at her and the two disappeared into the hallway. I turned to Eto.

"So, let's discuss this", I said

Eto nodded and we sat down at one of the tables.

The actual conversation was pretty boring, but it was over quickly. Hinami would get my room and be paired up with Ayato if she had to go on a mission. I also explained the situation with Kaneki. When we were done discussing everything I got up and gave Eto a hug.