Seventeen

Eiko's P.O.V.

When I regained consciousness I was tired and didn't open my eyes immediately. I noticed I was covered with a blanket and laying in a bed. I was quite comfortable and not completely sure if I wanted to return to the real world, but I decided to just rip the band-aid off and open my eyes.

I was in my own room, in my own bed. I looked around. Kaneki was sitting on a chair, resting his head on his arms on my bed. He was asleep.

I sat up straight and put my hand on my stomach, carefully pushing on it. It felt normal and thankfully didn't hurt at all. My breathing was also normal, so that was good.

"Eiko", Kaneki's hoarse voice suddenly ripped me out of my thoughts.

"Kaneki...", I started. "I didn't think you'd still be here."

"Because you lied to me?", he asked as he narrowed his eyes a bit.

I frowned.

"Why did you?", he asked. "Why didn't you tell me who you were?"

For a second I didn't know what to say. Then I realized he must've found out I was the Red Demon.

"Because I knew how you felt about the Red Demon", I said and I looked him in the eye. "How everyone feels about me. You said yourself that you thought I should be sent to Cochlea. You should've just left me there."

Kaneki's eyes hardened.

"I could never have left you there", he coldly said.

"Why not?", I asked, getting agitated by his lack of reaction. "You hate me!"

"I love you!", he suddenly yelled back.

My eyes widened in surprise.

"You..-", I started.

"It doesn't matter", Kaneki interrupted me. "You lied to me. About something very important. I need some time for myself."

He abruptly got up and started walking to the door.

"Wait, I-", I said, starting to get out of my bed.

"I'll send Ayato in", Kaneki coldly said before slamming the door shut behind him.

"I'm sorry", I whispered.

I slumped back against the headboard of my bed and sighed.

"Damn it", I said as I internally scowled at myself. "How did I manage to fuck up the only good thing that ever happened to me?"

I threw my head back against the wall. Suddenly the door opened.

"Kaneki?", I asked as I looked at the door.

"Sorry, it's just me", Ayato said as he came in, closing the door behind him.

He sat down on the side of the bed.

"How are you doing?", he asked.

"Physically or emotionally?", I sarcastically asked.

Ayato rolled his eyes.

"Sorry", I mumbled, realizing he had nothing to do with it. "I'm fine. The wound doesn't hurt anymore. What happened after I passed out anyway?"

"Kaneki took you here, but you were barely breathing", Ayato answered. "The knife definitely hit your lungs, maybe it even got close to your heart. There wasn't much we could do except let you heal, so they just fed you and put you to bed, hoping you'd survive. You've been unconscious ever since."

"Wait, how long ago was this?", I asked.

"The raid was last night, but you've been asleep for an entire day. I think it's about 3:30 a.m. right now", he shrugged.