Six

"Eiko-chan!", Suzuya beamed. "Long time no see!"

I inspected my brother carefully. He looked even crazier than I remembered, which I liked for some reason. Then I saw the stitches on his face, neck and arm.

"Rei", I whispered and I took a step closer.

He looked at me with a playful smirk.

"I guess we really do have the same tendencies", I said as I dropped my red cape.

He inspected me carefully, and then he saw my 'beautymarks'. The long line of stitches spiraling down my left arm and the row running down my neck.

"I wanted them on my face too, but Aogiri wouldn't approve", I said as I gauged my twin brother's reaction.

Of course I'd heard about the 'psychotic investigator' Juuzou Suzuya. I had suspected it was my brother, but I was never completely sure. 

He suddenly dropped his childish attitude and carefully walked closer to me, his demeanor reminding me of a curious animal.

He was now at a distance where he could touch me. I wasn't scared, but I didn't let my guard down either. His fingers ghosted down my neck, tracing the line of stitches. Then he ran his finger down his own neck, tracing his own stitches in the same spot. He glanced at his arm and then he looked at mine.

"Well, sister", he said softly. "I suppose we are kind of alike."

I was about to say something when his childish smile reappeared. He jumped back, throwing knives at me. I activated my kagune and blocked them.

Rei laughed hysterically and threw more knives at me. I blocked them all with my rinkaku kagune. I activated my koukaku kagune when he moved closer, both of us dodging and slashing where we could. Our fighting styles were very different, but evenly matched. I was about to activate my kakuja when an alarm sounded in the building and I heard Eto's voice through my earpiece.

"All troops, retreat! We're moving to the 18th ward!"

I took a step back from Rei and smiled at him.

"I'll see you some other time, brother", I said. "I have to go now."

Before he could react I jumped through the window, shattering it. I fell six storeys down and caught myself with my rinkaku kagune. I used it to cover my face and shield me from remaining investigators who were shooting at me as I disappeared into the night.

****

"Eto!", I shouted as soon as I reached the 18th ward's base.

Fortunately she was standing at the entrance, bandages concealing her face.

"Where is Ayato?", I immediately asked.

She gestured for me to follow her and we made our way up to the second floor. There we walked through a hallway and into a room. I saw Ayato on the bed, sleeping.

"Our newest asset wasn't very nice to him", Eto whispered, careful not to wake Ayato up.

We walked back into the hallway and Eto closed the door before turning to face me.

"Newest asset?", I questioned.

"The white-haired ghoul", she said matter-of-factly.

"I don't know who you mean", I mumbled.

"The one Yamori tortured", Eto elaborated.

"I thought he had black hair", I mumbled.

"I don't know", Eto shrugged. "Did everything go all right with Suzuya? You don't seem injured."