Twenty-six

We were walking to the base with Ayato's arms around both mine and Kaneki's shoulders for support. We'd been silent the entire time, but then Ayato spoke up.

"I'm sorry", he mumbled. "I shouldn't have gone there."

"You're damn right about that", Kaneki answered.

"Why were you there?", I asked Ayato as I gave Kaneki a look.

"I'd been hanging around there a lot to see how Touka was doing", Ayato answered. "Without her knowing, of course. The cafe was closed today and I thought it was empty, so I went inside. But then there was this girl there. She was nice to me and we talked upstairs, but then Touka and uncle Renji came back and he got really mad and attacked me."

I sighed.

"Well, I'm just glad you're okay", I said. "You'll be fine with some food and some rest."

"Yeah, probably", Ayato mumbled. "But Touka doesn't want to see me again, and I don't think Renji does either."

"You'll be fine, Ayo-kun", I said as I looked up at him. "We're with you. Always."

"I know", He answered with a small smile. "Thank you."

We were all silent again. Then I thought of something and looked at Kaneki.

"Kaneki-kun, are you alright?", I asked him. "It can't have been easy to see all of them again under these circumstances."

"I'm fine", Kaneki coldly answered.

I was taken aback by his tone and quickly shut up. I looked at the floor as we walked. When I just met him Kaneki always spoke in that tone, but now it seemed so distant. I couldn't help but wonder, was he thinking about Touka? I clenched my jaw and frowned in jealousy.

Then I quickly brushed it off again. I didn't want to be one of those girls who get jealous over the smallest things.

When we reached the base we saw Eto at the entrance. She walked up to us and replaced Kaneki in supporting Ayato.

"There you guys are", she said in a relieved tone. "Let's get you to your room, Ayato. Are you alright? What happened?"

"I'm fine", Ayato answered. "I'll explain later."

"Alright", Eto mumbled.

We walked to the elevator. All four of us entered and Kaneki pushed the button to the floor where his and Ayato's rooms were. After we all got out we walked to Ayato's room. When we reached it I looked back to see Kaneki disappearing into his own room. I frowned and ignored him. I wanted to be there for Ayato.

Eto and I helped him get onto his bed and t0hen Eto excused herself to get him some food. I looked at Ayato, who was trying to get comfortable while pressing his hand against his side.

"Are you alright?", I asked when he groaned in pain.

"Yeah, just a few cracked ribs", he mumbled through clenched teeth. "I haven't eaten much, so I can't heal myself."

"Well, Eto is getting you something to eat, so that should be gone soon", I answered as I helped put some pillows around him.

"Yeah, you're right", Ayato answered.

I sat down on the side of the bed and absently brushed my fingers through his hair. It was subconsciously, but I knew Ayato liked it. He mentioned it helped him relax a couple of times.

As we waited for Eto to come back I thought about Kaneki. Did he want to return to Anteiku? To his old friends? Would he leave me?

"Eiko-chan", Ayato then said. "Did you hear me?"