Thirty-two

I settled in at Uta's quite quickly. Something about him felt safe.

It took me a few months, but eventually I wasn't sad about Kaneki's death anymore. But it wasn't just the sadness that faded away, it was all my feelings. As dramatic as it sounds, I felt like a void. I even got over my miscarriage. At first I burst out in tears just thinking about it, but after a while it didn't make me feel any different.

I woke up in my room above HySy Artmask Studio. I threw my covers back and swung my legs over the edge of the bed. Then I got up and walked out of my room. I walked into the bathroom and checked myself in the mirror.

I'd recently gotten my hair dyed again, because the roots were starting to get white. My hair was long, wild and deep black. My red eyes stood out against my light skin, just like my stitches. I looked into my own eyes, noticing the lack of emotion.

"Put me in a building full of serial killers and call me Rachel", I muttered to myself as I turned around and turned the shower on. "I wonder if Zack would see the difference."

It wasn't like I didn't notice my lack off emotion. I just couldn't care less. For some reason I felt completely numb.

I took off my clothes and stepped into the shower. I let the water cleanse my skin and hair. I washed myself before turning the water off. Then I wrapped myself in a towel and brushed my teeth and hair.

I opened the bathroom door and crossed the hall to my room. I closed the door behind me and looked through my closet. I took out black tights and a white, sleeveless, double slit dress. I put them on and then put on a belt. I finished with some long, black, fingerless gloves and black boots.

I realized I looked like a depressed cosplay girl, but I didn't care.

I opened the door of my room and walked into the living room. Uta was sitting on the couch with a cup of coffee. There was one for me too.

"Morning", I mumbled as I sat down next to Uta.

"Good morning, Eiko-chan", he answered as he handed me the coffee.

"Thanks", I mumbled before taking a sip.

"Got any plans for today?", Uta asked.

"M-hm", I shook my head.

Uta asked me that every day. I never had any plans. I didn't need to do anything, nor did I want to. I was fine with helping out in the shop, swinging by Anteiku, and then reading before going to sleep again. Occasionally I would eat something of course.

I knew Uta was worried about me. Everyone, including him, noticed the change in me. Everybody was a little worried, but Uta most of all. I could see it in his eyes. Although they seemed emotionless to the rest of the world, I could see his worry for me growing in them every day.

"Alright then", Uta continued. "There is a customer coming today. I'd like you to take their measurements. You can go to Anteiku afterwards."

"Okay", I said as I drank my coffee.

After I finished it I got up. I took Uta's empty cup with me and put them on the counter in the kitchen. Then I went downstairs, into the shop.

I changed the sign on the door from 'closed' to 'open' and started checking if everything was clean. Once I was satisfied I just sat down at the desk in the back of the shop. I took one of my books out of the drawer and started reading.

After a while the door opened. I immediately smelled that the person who entered was human.

'What the hell does a human need a mask for?', I thought to myself.