Thirty

After telling Kaneki that I was pregnant and hearing his happy reaction, my life was perfect to me. After I told Ayato about it as well we celebrated. Kaneki and I were happy and closer than ever, expecting our first child. I had never been happier in my life.

It felt too good to be true, and it was.

Everything was fine until Eto made an announcement. We would once again raid Cochlea, to free more members of Aogiri Tree. I assumed I would go with them, because I always did on those type of missions, but everyone agreed that I should stay at the base, for the baby's health and safety as well as my own. I was fine with that, but I hated seeing Kaneki, Ayato and Eto leave without me.

I had hugged Ayato and Eto. Then I'd embraced Kaneki and buried my face in his chest.

"Come back to me", I'd mumbled. "To us. Promise me."

"I promise", Kaneki had answered.

But he never did.

I remember seeing Ayato and Eto return to the base. Ayato seemed fine, but Eto's bandages were ripped and she was covered in blood. I ran up to them.

"Where is Kaneki?", I'd asked them.

Eto got a grim expression on her face as she averted her eyes.

"He didn't make it", she'd whispered.

It had taken me a few seconds to register what she said, but once I understood it I threw my arms around Ayato. He comforted me with a sad look in his eyes. Then I excused myself. I wanted to go to Anteiku. They deserved to know.

So here I was, standing in front of the door. The sign said 'closed', but I didn't care. The tears streamed down my face as I entered the cafe. Everyone present stared at me.

"Where's Hinami?", I asked in a suffocated voice.

She appeared from behind the bar.

"Eiko-chan", she said as soon as she saw my face.

She ran up to me and threw her arms around me. I started sobbing. I couldn't control myself. I just cried.

"What's wrong?", Hinami asked.

"He's gone", I managed to make out in between sobs.

I just kept repeating it. My head felt like it was about to explode and I could barely think.

"What?", Hinami asked as she kept holding me. "Who's gone?"

"Kaneki!", I then yelled before the sobs took over again. "He's dead!"

Hinami took a step back with a shocked expression on her face. My sobs got hysterical and my legs couldn't hold me anymore. I dropped to my knees as I just kept crying. That was all that seemed to exist; crying and missing Kaneki.

I couldn't really register it, but Yoshimura calmly walked up to me and supported me as he guided me to a chair. I sat down as I tried to dry my tears.

"I can't", I whispered between the sobs. "I just can't. I really can't."

"You can't what?", Nishiki asked as Hinami covered me with a blanket.

"I can't do it", was all I could make out.

"What, Eiko-chan?", Hinami softly asked as she put her hand on my shoulder.

"I'm pregnant!", I blurted out as my hand subconsciously moved to my stomach. "I can't do this without him. I just can't."

I didn't notice, but Nishiki and Touka walked up to the bar where Yoshimura was observing me.