Thirty five

Carter P.O.V.

Valerie's birthday was a total and utter success, if I do say so myself. Watching her every reaction poured even more happiness into my heart. She was the sweetest thing I'd ever seen. After Disneyland, she spent the next day hanging out with her brother Will, before he had to leave to fly back to New York. I liked him, he was a really nice guy. I was an only child, so it was nice to see the bond that they shared, and get to know another part of her life.

"See ya on the flip side!" Ellana bid Will goodbye with a hug and ruffle on the top of his head.

"Bye smelly Ell," he teased with a snigger.

"Ugh! Go back to New York already killjoy Will!" she blew a raspberry at him, earning a large guffaw in return.

"Aw Willy, thank you again for my birthday surprise, I loved it." Val wrapped her arms around her brother, as much as her small frame could allow, before giving him a squeeze.

"When will you stop calling me that?" he facepalmed himself with a groan.

"Never, muahaha," she cackled ominously, before he wiggled out of her grip and picked her up in a hug.

"See you later sis. Stay out of trouble okay." Will pat her on the head affectionately.

"I could say the same for you!" she retorted and pushed his hand away before stalking off to the kitchen.

"Catch ya later man," I gave him a handshake and a brief hug.

"Yeah, see you later. Thanks for everything you've done for Val by the way. She seems really happy."

"It's all her." I grinned.

"Have you told her you love her?" he asked in a lowered voice. The question left me floored for a moment. "I mean, I don't just take any random girl I like on romantic vacations," he raised an eyebrow at me knowingly.

I shuffled on my feet, brushing a hand through my hair. "Yeah... no I haven't yet." I admitted with a small, nervous chuckle.

"Well then you should bro." he encouraged, giving me a pat on the back. I nodded at the advice. Would that scare her off?

"Alright, bye guys!" Will waved one last time, before exiting the apartment.

I offered him a ride to the airport, but he simply said he didn't want to use our precious time when he could just pay someone to do their respective job. True. He was a CFO after-all.

~

"How are you feeling?" I asked Valerie as we checked in at the international terminal of L.A.X. earling Monday morning.

"I'm so excited! The only place outside the U.S I've ever been to was London, and that was like six years ago!" she spoke in a rushed voice.

"I'm excited to travel with you," I grinned. We made our way past the rigorous security checks and into the departures lounge to await boarding.

"I love watching the planes take off. It's so exciting. There are so many people out there in the world, going places each with their own unique story," she said absentmindedly, standing by the large glass windows.

I nodded in agreement, gazing out at the airfield. "Yeah, airports are a unique place. It's where families unite or say goodbye,"

"Or where people come home to stay, or run off to explore the world," she added.

I loved how we could be playful, yet also have all these deep thoughts to talk about together. You don't always find that level of intellectual or emotional connection with everyone you meet.