Twenty one

Valerie P.O.V.

Carter had kindly offered to take me to L.A.X so he could see me before I left, and jokingly said he was gonna book a ticket to come with me just for the kicks. I secretly wouldn't have minded, he had only just gotten back from Miami, and now I was leaving.

"See you later gorgeous," he pulled me into a hug before leaning down to kiss me. Ever since that night a few days ago, the sparks that flew between us had become way more intense. It was like opening Pandora's box.

"Bye Carter," I whispered into his neck, breathing in his scent before pulling away. I'm honestly addicted.

He shot me a wink before climbing back into his car and drove off.

Swoon.

I landed at J.F.K. about five hours after boarding. Taking a few deep breaths (but not too much- NY doesn't have the cleanest air after-all), I stepped out onto the bustling sidewalk to hail a cab back home, watching the endless lights that filled the city pass by. After paying the driver, I lugged my suitcase out of the boot and stared up at the skyscraper before me.

I'm back.

The last time I was here in the big apple was for Thanksgiving and Christmas last year, approximately 6 months ago.

"Sweetheart!" my mother appeared stretching her arms out immaculately dressed as always, not one strand of hair out of place. She embraced me lightly and gave me two air kisses on the cheek.

"Hi mom," I smiled warmly.

"Oh, too much of that Los Angeles sun is going to give you wrinkles!" she scolded as she pinched my cheeks and inspected my face closely between her hands.

"I wear SPF! And I'm not on the beach all the time," I swatted her hands away. "How are you and dad?" I asked, taking off my jacket to hang it up on the coat rack.

"Good honey, he'll be coming home soon and William is on his way so we can have a proper family dinner."

"That's good mom, I'm gonna settle in okay?" I replied as I proceeded to wheel my suitcase into my old room. Not one bit has changed as I opened the door.

A large pristine white bed sat in the centre with a luxurious cream fur rug, a gold ottoman on top and a large vanity in the corner, with a sparkling chandelier hanging from the ceiling. All this really feels like a lifetime ago. I can admit though, it is a stunning room and I was so lucky to have so much, I would never take that or people I love for granted anymore. I went and unpacked my suitcase to pull out my clothes for the week and hung them up in my half empty walk-in. I still had some old stuff stored in there that I couldn't take to L.A.

"Valerie?" a male voice called as I heard footsteps enter my bedroom.

"Will!" I grinned as I strode out of the closet to greet my brother.

"Hey sis, heard you were home," he came over to give me a big bear hug and rubbed the top of my head roughly with his knuckles.

"Omg Will, I'm not five," I groaned and pushed his hand away as he chuckled.

"You're still my lil sis." He grinned cheekily as he continued to hold me under his arm in a wrestler's grip as I struggled to free myself.

"You're only two years older than me!!!" I whined, pushing him away.

"Still counts!" he snorted amusedly, finally releasing me, to which I rolled my eyes at him, as we both went to sit on my bed.

He was almost 24 and worked with my dad at DelCorp, but honestly acted the same way he did as a kid (when he wasn't in business mode). He said he needed to keep himself young and not turn into a stiff, grumpy old CEO one day. William was a pretty naughty kid when he was younger, always getting up to mischief and trying to find ways to entertain us when we were growing up. Having such formal parents, and being raised to have proper etiquette could be a little boring at times, but he made up for it, 100%.